Thread: Plant id

Default Plant id

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Johnson grass

The red coloration on the seed made me think it was something else
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Looks like Indian grass to me. Seed head doesn't look like Johnson grass. The seed heads will also start to resemble something like a spear (best way I know how to describe it) like the one on the right side of the pic

Does Indian grass have a value in a impoundment?

Wouldn't think so. Smartweed would be a good native plant to have in an impoundment. Would not be invasive or anything but I don't think there would be any nutrional value for waterfowl, may be wrong

I am far from expert but I think it's some sort of phragmities - some species are way worse than others.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by awest79 View Post
    Looks like Indian grass to me. Seed head doesn't look like Johnson grass. The seed heads will also start to resemble something like a spear (best way I know how to describe it) like the one on the right side of the pic
    Devil spears? That's what we called them if I'm thinking of the same plant.

Is a heavy disking going to control it next year.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by awest79 View Post
    awst79 is correct, it's Indiangrass (Sorghastrum nutans) or Yellow indiangrass depend on what it's called in other areas of the country. It's a native prairie grass.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 10-01-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."