Thread: Lay out boats

Looking to purchase one and what a few opinions on different models.

Hunting conditions will be open water, I expect will get rough at times (2-3 foot chop). Needs to be easy to paddle at least 100 yards from main boat, stable, does not take on water easily and needs to be very stable in case I got to pee out that 6 cups of coffee at legal shooting time. Second most important thing is it better be comfortable (first is safe).
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

Check out the Mighty Layout Boys site http://www.mightylayoutboys.com/domino/mlb/MLB_home.nsf

I think Gander just upgraded to the oversized model, might want to check with him. You may also want to check with him on how difficult it may be to paddle an MLB a couple of hundred yards. These are true layout boats and are usually deployed from a another boat or a tender boat.

I just bought a Dual Purpose boat (sneak & layout) from Momarsh. http://www.momarsh.com/fatboy.htm

I'm not how sure this thing would work in rough waters but I plan on doing some layout hunting in it. I doubt if I'll go out in really rough waters. It's probably not what your looking for but check it out. It's even got the ability to attach a small motor (3 to 5 hp).

Gander has a sweet layout boat for sure! I think he posted a few days ago that he used it out in some really rough waters the other morning and it did fine. You may want to talk with him for sure!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Squatty brings up another good option, especially if a true layout boat is really not what you want. The Fatboy from MoMarsh is an excellent and versatile little boat that may be more along the lines of what you want. You can take it in back waters and use it as a layout as well. Ira and crew have done a good job with the Fatboy.

And they are very cool people and easy to deal with!

If you want to take a look at it I'll be glad to show you mine. I'm wanting to come down to M.C. and do some hunting anyway!

I have looked at the Mighty Layout on their website and that is basically what I want - a true layout. I want to be able to sit out there if it gets rough or at least be able to paddle it back if it gets bad. I hunt alone a lot during the week while most folks work so I need to be able to handle it myself.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

Here's another outfit that makes "true" Layout boats. http://www.bankesboats.com/

The MLB Supermagnun is a very stable layout boat that is easily paddled. The Supermagnum is the size that you want if you're taller that 5'10". If you're a small guy, the classic will be fine.

We drove to Indiana and picked them up to save on shipping...which is considerable. I think shipping is somewhere around $400.

I have a 10' Aquapod. I don't use it as a layout boat too much, but more like a stealth-ambush type boat. Anything like the Aquapod (referring to its width or beam) is going to be really stable. I have heard good things about MLB boats,too, so good luck. If you plan to do a lot of layout hunting, I think either one would be a good choice. THe shipping cost on anything that big will eat you alive unless you have it shipped to a business address. Keep that in mind when you order one.Here's a link for the Aqua-Pod:

Http://www.attbar.com
    At least I'm housebroken.

I realize I'm late in responding, but here is my $.02. I looked at as many layout boats as I could. If your looking for gunning over big water, you need a true pumpkinseed style boat. Based on my research Mighty Layout Boats were my first choice. Nothing else even came in close. After deaking with Mark Rongers on several occasions, I can't enough good things about dealing with him. As Fish said, the supermag is the way to go if you are over 5'10". It's a rugged boat as well. My boat was inadvertently dropped from my big bost in a concrete parking lot with no more than a scratch. Plenty of room and well suited for big water. I've tried and you just can't swamp my boat, even with the wake from a 17 foot Scout. My advice to you is to find a couple other guys and make a trip up to his plant in Indiana to pick it up.