Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Im in the UP right next to Wisconsin...conundrum...

Post pics when you finish tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I'll be headed north in less than seven days for a couple weeks of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Wife pic

Do you need me to bring the boat?

Cool pic the doc I took
    Hunting with me took this am while I was rearranging the decoys, pics of the three I managed to kill, and a small clip of a couple of trumpeter swans that flew in then swam over to the decoys. We were set up just a smidge wrong this morning, but we will correct that tomorrow. This is the first time I’ve ever hunted ducks on my birthday; I think I’ll make it a tradition from here out. Hope the links work...I’m having a tough time posting links ever since photobucked decided to suck.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Shit! If anyone can figure out how to make those links show pics on here, please do it. We got there about 30 minutes later than I wanted to, as the short trek through the woods was a complete hack through crazy thick undergrowth and downed trees. Got to the spot about 5 minutes before a boat tried to get there. The dood saw our light, and backed off 200 yards down the shore and allowed us to work several groups and a single without shooting them on the swing. They killed theirs, and we killed ours...it was refreshing to experience. We were set for a south wind that was 2 hours late in kicking up, so the ducks piled into the hole just off to our west steady starting ten minutes before legal. They somehow got out at the first shot from across the lake without us firing a shot, but we had 50-60 on the water right in behind our spread at legal. Still should have killed a 2 man limit, but we did not shoot worth a bean on the first groups that worked in. Had to leave at 0935, and they were piling in as we were driving away. Going to get there about 1.5 hour earlier tomorrow to beat the guys in the boat who are thinking they need to get there an hour earlier��!

;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-30-2017 at 10:37 PM.

That is awesome.
    Pro Remington 870 Operator

"Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Wooooooo!

I still am offering to bring the boat..

Some of the best ruffed grouse hunting on the planet is in WI and MI..
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    Some of the best ruffed grouse hunting on the planet is in WI and MI..
    That's what I hear...I don't know squat about hunting them, so I'm going to stick with ducks till I leave, but I keep hearing they are plentiful and delicious.

After the ducks stop flying, go find a logging road that runs through a 5 to 15 year old clear cut. Go for a walk. Take your dog if you have one. You should find some grouse. If the leaves are still on, you will hear more than you will see. IC is the tightest choke you would need. Skeet is better and 7-1/2 shot. All white meat about the size of a cornish hen when dressed. Easy to kill, damn hard to hit.

So I asked my new hunting bud about the grouse, and he said that basically, folks up here just drive around, see grouse along the roads, get out, and shoot them. He said once the leaves are down and snow is falling, you see them in the trees all over the place; I'm looking forward to that when I come back in December. There is a nurse here with some property, and she gave us permission to come out Friday after work and shoot some grouse, and she says she sees them every day in her driveway...I'm guessing she has a long gravel driveway running through some woods. Ill post up pics and the story if it turns out to be a powder-burning trip. Here are a couple of pics from day 2 of the duck hunting...it was warmer with a strong south wind, there were far fewer ducks, and they were far more educated than they were just a day earlier. We were still able to talk a few small groups into committing, and once again, we shot like shit...the only solid shooting I did was a fold-em-dead double on a couple of divers that were scalding it through the decoys before I ever saw them...I was pretty stoked until I picked them up and realized they were common mergansers. I turned the OR staff on to smoked sausage and cheese grits last week...they went from skeptical to asking for the recipe in a hurry. I have these ducks falling apart in a stew in the crockpot right now, and I'm going to further open their minds and freak-out their taste buds again tomorrow. Hopefully I can post up some good pics after this weekends hunts.

And can anyone tell me why my pics are loading to my albums sideways and/or how I can rotate them upright once they are there?