Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Size to Mid Size

Default Full Size to Mid Size

Want to know who has went from a full size truck to maybe a Tacoma. My GMC is on it's third trip to the shop & the dealership gave me a new 4 dr Canyon to drive. I've noticed that I may can get away with a Tacoma after driving this thing. I don't drive but 5 miles to work & I don't pull anything other than a jon boat & 4 wheeler. I do have three kids but we rarely are all in the truck together. If we go out of town we drive my wife's veh. I like the maneuverability of the smaller truck.

Who's done & did it work or no go?

Haven't been without a full size truck in a looooong time.

Looked to do the same thing last year. Drove them all and the Tacoma is hard to beat, BUT the 6 cyl only gets 1-2 miles a gallon more at best. Cost is basically the same. So went with full size Ford so I still have options to tow if need be or haul a big load of rock etc.

I've done just that but I've only had the tacoma for 20 hours at this point so I can't help. I wanted a reliable vehicle I could drive 200k miles no problem. Steered away from gm due to possible AFM issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have been both routes and trade trucks alot.......4wd 4dr Tacoma will get the same gas mileage as full size if you level it and put bigger tires on it.

But if you can make it work it is alot easier around town parking etc

I went from a Tacoma to a Sierra and then Tundra. I looked at Tacomas again after i got out of the Sierra. One day when i was looking I decided to drive my brothers Taco when he was home from college. Nopeeeee will not go back to a Tacoma again full time.

I've got someone looking for a four door Tacoma. It's going to be like a "company" truck. I feel like I'm going to need someone to make me a sticker that's says.. "it's just a play truck, don't judge". I'm petty.

I don't drive enough to worry about gas mileage. My main concern is will I become claustrophobic. What will I miss most if anything. If the Tacoma's/Frontier's have the same power as this Canyon, I'm good with that. I just don't like the way the Canyon looks vs the others.

I have a fleet of full size trucks. But I really enjoy driving my little 2003 Trailblazer. It's easy to park and fits anywhere.

I drove a full size Chevy and then a Tahoe from 1987-2014. I bought a 2013 4 door 4wd Tacoma because I got it at a great price. Tried not to like it, but I love it. Raised it a couple inches and put an add a leaf on the rear and I pull a heavy High Tide with zero issues and sometimes pull my Massey 135 with it. I won't make a habit of pulling the tractor, but I certainly don't worry about it when I do.

As far as comfort, I'm a big MF'r and I think it's comfortable as hell. I now have 140K+ Miles on it and it still feels as solid as the day I bought.

I love the truck.

We have 2 Tacoma 4 doors and an old 89 pickup. We like them. The Tacoma's are not a powerhouse but will tow a decent load. I was shocked at the tow ratings for the newer 4x4 TRD trucks. Gas mileage could be better but not too bad. BJ

I have a 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro. Back seat is a bit tight but that isn't my problem because I don't sit back there. Plenty of room in the front. The gearing could be a bit better for interstate travel, it likes to drop to a lower gear on hills while running 85 and I'm not sold on the Atkinson cycle 3.5L V6 just yet. Wish it still had the 4.0. But the Nip engineer is smarter than me so they did it for some reason. The truck is near impossible to get stuck and pulls everything I have just fine. 19 foot tidewater bay boat, atv trailer, etc.

I got a Tacoma after driving a full sized truck around Charleston for a month. Got the four door long bed. I like the maneuverability and tow my boat to Florida multiple times per year. Handles it well. If I were a taller guy, might not like it so much.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

No kids, I would say no problem. There will be times you are going to need to transport kids and friends in that truck though.

I would not be happy going from the BADASS FORD to a mid-size. I miss the 8' bed
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Buy an older full or mid size truck with cash, and have two vehicles (or financed if you wanted too). Best of both worlds.

I love my F350, it's great for towing when I need it, plenty of room, but a bitch to drive around the mountains and town (parking spots). I need it enough that I couldn't go to a midsize vehicle 100%. Ended up finding a 2003 Land Cruiser in good condition and picked it up. I drive the LC around town for the most part now, the truck is used for hunting and pulling. I've been happy with the options.

Did it and promptly went back. 2016 tundra crew max> 2017 Tacoma 4 door.

As second vehicle for work or hunting it was great as long as it was just me. Back seat was cramped. Did not care for the torque curve of the new 3.5 v6. Needed high rpm to make even a little bit of power. I much prefer the 4.0 power delivery when paired with the automatic.

Now the TRD off road package was pretty slick. Locking diff and crawl control was cool but I had a hard time beating on a $40k truck, made for it or not.

Really did like the new dash and infotainment set up compared to the tundra, but mine had tech package.

I ended up selling and buying a titan xd with the cummins. I'm about tired of nissans b.s. issues with the ecm and what not.

One thing about toyota is they are boring with their tech and features, but that makes them boringly reliable.

That 4.0 that Toyota produced is a beast. I would equate it to todays 22re! I have a 4runner and a tundra both with the 4.0 and its just solid. I have pulled WAY to much with my tundra, a bunch. Its got 190k and I would drive it to Alaska tomorrow. The 2000 to 2006 Tundra is similar size to the 2006 to current Tacoma. I love the size! I hate my truck is 2wd so I bought a 2001 Sequoia that is 4wd. I love the Tacoma and if I bought a new truck it would be a clean 2015 4x4 long bed with a camper shell.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

As mentioned, if passenger space or fuel mileage isn't an issue they're hard to beat. I pull a 25' boat regularly w it but I wouldn't do in for a long duration. If you're towing a load expect mpg do drop drastically, 6-7mpg. With a small tank you need to start looking w a 1/3 a tank or more or you'll find yourself in a bad spot

I went from a F150 crew to a Tacoma crew a few years back. After the 250th time hitting my head getting in the truck I decided to go back to a full size.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I drove a full size Chevy and then a Tahoe from 1987-2014. I bought a 2013 4 door 4wd Tacoma because I got it at a great price. Tried not to like it, but I love it. Raised it a couple inches and put an add a leaf on the rear and I pull a heavy High Tide with zero issues and sometimes pull my Massey 135 with it. I won't make a habit of pulling the tractor, but I certainly don't worry about it when I do.

As far as comfort, I'm a big MF'r and I think it's comfortable as hell. I now have 140K+ Miles on it and it still feels as solid as the day I bought.

I love the truck.
    Heavy high tide? Pffftt

Can you stop that Massey 135 when soccer mom cuts you off and slams on the brakes because junior spills koolaid on the minivan's fine Corinthian leather? I see at least one joker towing big ass bote with a little truck rear-ending someone at the bay bridge toll booth each weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"