Thread: Master gunsmith in chas?

Default Master gunsmith in chas?

Is there a site sponsor/gunsmith located in the chas area on this site?

Or any other reccs, feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've heard this place does good work, never used em myself tho: https://www.d-and-r-gunsmithing.com/

Thanks shoots, sent them an email to see if they can help me.

There is a place on 17 going towards moncks corner on the right. Can't remember the name at the moment but they do good adorable work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Colin4, unfortunately i believe the one you're talking about went out of business this summer. Carolina Arms and Ammo is what it was called.

I think colin is talking about the Gun Doctor

I wouldn't take anything to the Gun Doctor. They put chokes in an LT 20 of mine and it ended up bulging the barrel. I took it back to show them thinking they might stand behind their work. The man told me I must not of screwed the choke in all the way.

i bought a couple new parts needed installed this year, palmetto state gave me the card for d and r in moncks corner, they did a really good job and were great to work with.

what do you need?

Rich of D and R has been super responsive and I am thinking about checking him out today or tomorrow. I will be sure to mention I heard of him here, even though he was the only one who popped up in a "charleston master gunsmith search" prior to posting. Following up on a previous post, I got a cleaning snake/attachment stuck in the Fn barrel. My fault, live and learn sometimes. It is on a rem 710 so nothing fancy and hate to put too much money into it but would love to resolve issue and keep as back up rifle. I tried all sorts of shit to get it out and eventually did by taking a long screw and screwing it into the cleaning piece and then prying it out. When doing so, I imagine that I scuffed/scraped the finish of the barrel where the round sits when chambered. Still fires just fine and is accurate as always, but I believe what is happening is that the brass casing is just slightly expanding in grooves in barrel so when trying to cycle bolt it is next to impossible thus making the rifle basically worthless. Was hoping to work/buff/polish out imperfections in barrel to see if this would correct the issue.

Side question, why would someone like PSA not have one on staff? I shop there fairly regularly but have little faith in the guys behind the counter. Not because they don't necessarily know their stuff on certain subjects, but it is so inconsistent and I feel like if I do about 20 min worth of research online I know more about what I am looking for than the average person behind the counter. I realize there is a ton of info to know and a ton of info out there, but when you take a rifle (AK, not the subject of this thread) and the guy behind the counter cant figure out how to disengage the safety I basically know at that point to not rely on that individual for shit surrounding that particular rifle. I just assume it is difficult to staff good help for the wages they want to pay an average employee. This is a problem across the board, I am not picking on PSA or any entity specifically. Like I said, I shop there regularly and love their selection that is close by. I also know what I am working with potentially in the store employee wise until an individual proves otherwise based on knowledge in a conversation. I am no gun pro and will not claim to be when it comes to technical aspects, but I go to those stores seeking knowledge I do not have and sometimes it is hard to find. I would rather come to SC ducks and ask questions at this point as there is such a wealth of knowledge here as long as ppl are willing to offer it.

Side question, why would someone like PSA not have one on staff? I shop there fairly regularly but have little faith in the guys behind the counter. Not because they don't necessarily know their stuff on certain subjects, but it is so inconsistent and I feel like if I do about 20 min worth of research online I know more about what I am looking for than the average person behind the counter. I realize there is a ton of info to know and a ton of info out there, but when you take a rifle (AK, not the subject of this thread) and the guy behind the counter cant figure out how to disengage the safety I basically know at that point to not rely on that individual for shit surrounding that particular rifle. I just assume it is difficult to staff good help for the wages they want to pay an average employee. This is a problem across the board, I am not picking on PSA or any entity specifically. Like I said, I shop there regularly and love their selection that is close by. I also know what I am working with potentially in the store employee wise until an individual proves otherwise based on knowledge in a conversation. I am no gun pro and will not claim to be when it comes to technical aspects, but I go to those stores seeking knowledge I do not have and sometimes it is hard to find. I would rather come to SC ducks and ask questions at this point as there is such a wealth of knowledge here as long as ppl are willing to offer it.

My neighbor works at D&R. Have had a couple guns cerakoted. Did a great job and was good turn around FWIW

A guy by the name of Mark Novak does FANTASTIC work. He used to work at costal firearms for a while as well as on his own gunsmithing company. I'm not sure if he's still doing stuff by maybe google him and contact him.