Thread: Compensating for elevation

Default Compensating for elevation

First deer ever in bow range yesterday, and damn the adrenaline. Joined new club, scouted exactly once, for 2 hours. Found a scrape and a rub, put cameras on both. Hunted twice, one morning and yesterday evening. Check cameras on way in. 0 pics on rub, camera on scrape crapped out, but i could see scrape had been freshened up. Wasn't very hopeful of seeing anything. Climbed up, got settled, and within 15 mins a doe and a mature, wide 8 came out, bee lined right to scrape to smell and freshen. The scrape is 20 yards at my 10 o'clock, but lets say i'm facing north, he was facing east. Any movement would have been spotted. He walked a few more steps east, sensed something wrong, turned and walked west. I drew, but felt the angle was too severe. More than quartering away. Waited and at 30 yards he turned just enough, merped him, and let loose.

In the excitement, i know that i forgot to compensate for him ducking, which he did, and the arrow probably shaved fur as it flew just over his back. Wondering if i was misinformed on how to aim from elevation. Any rules of thumb? If deer is at 30 yards and i'm 25 feet up, do I aim a little low?

I realize that ideally I should practice from elevation, but had no access to the land before 1 week prior to season and leave in suburban hell.

Thanks
    Last edited by everlast; 09-24-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Bend at the waist.

Most archers bend with their arms which causes them to shoot high out of a tree stand.

I shoot sitting down 90% of the time but it doesn’t make much difference.

Bend at the waist and you will be ok out to 30.

Aim low. Bend at the waist.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Always aim low. You really can't hit them too low