Thread: Sako Ammo?

Default Sako Ammo?

Has anyone ever used the Sako brand ammo, in any caliber? If so, how'd it perform, both for accuracy on a paper target and the net result of game?

Any idea who makes it for them, assuming they don't make their own for primarily European distribution?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I've heard good things about it. Their ammo from what I gather uses Vhitavouri powder and I believe I read Norma bullets but I'm not 100% certain on that, FWIW I read it on a Sako page on Facebook. It must be decent, they build their guarantee for their rifles on it. I may try some in the future for the 85.

I've never had a bad product with the name Sako on it.

Got another e-mail from EuroOptic today with Sako deals. Damn near went and bought a Bavarian Carbine with full Mannlicher stock in .308. Good thing internet is shitty in the stand and I left my wallet in the truck.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 09-22-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I figured as much on the Sako ammo, and am glad to hear you agree. I'm thinking about trying some in .243 and 30-06. Will let you know.

As for EuroOptic, I'm working hard to keep reminding myself that I don't use all that I've got now and it's time to stay practical...
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    As for EuroOptic, I'm working hard to keep reminding myself that I don't use all that I've got now and it's time to stay practical...
    No doubt, I just got this urge to get a Bavarian Carbine Mannlicher SA and put a Swarovski on it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I believe it's Norma ammo rebranded.

It is Norma.

A friend has a BaV in .308 and another in 6.5 Swede.

Superb rifles and very accurate .
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I've never used Norma ammo. How are the bullet types rated for hunting deer, etc?

The bullets I've looked at for .243 and 30-06 appear to be Pointed Soft Points, or something similar.
    ~ George Washington

I've heard the guys at Dewey's in Gville speak highly of it.

I dug into this a little further with my friend in the know. Sako built an ammo production facility. They are using some Norma and other brand bullets ( a lot of Swift) , but the facility is owned and operated by Sako.

He has been to the rifle plant and on a few Sako sponsored hunts for Red Stag and Moose.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I dug into this a little further with my friend in the know. Sako built an ammo production facility. They are using some Norma and other brand bullets ( a lot of Swift) , but the facility is owned and operated by Sako.

He has been to the rifle plant and on a few Sako sponsored hunts for Red Stag and Moose.
    Similar to what I read on the Sako site on FB.

Quick search turned up this article. No mention of bullet manufacture though.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/rifl...ion-from-sako/

Great info. So it looks like they are trying to break into the US premium ammo market. That's good to hear, although it would appear that it's their brass quality and accuracy consistency that may be their drawing points as opposed to their bullet selection (e.g., Norma and Swift). Not that Norma and Swift aren't good bullets, but we've already got a plethora of quality bullets to chose from, so we'll see.

Any additional info that can be turned up comparing various bullets would be interesting. I'll try to work on it later.
    ~ George Washington

Brass is some of the best. Nosler brass is Norma. Bullets are good. Oryx is an excellent hunting bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Brass is some of the best. Nosler brass is Norma. Bullets are good. Oryx is an excellent hunting bullet.
    I've heard/read that about the Oryx, but I get the impression it's also a deep penetration bullet. That's great for larger, tougher game, but I would think may be less than desirable with our smaller deer here, not unlike the Nosler Partition bullet, et al.

Yay, nay?
    ~ George Washington

My eldest and I shot a few with the 156 gr Oryx out of a 6.5 Jap. Very mild cartridge, bullets expanded and penetrated well.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    My eldest and I shot a few with the 156 gr Oryx out of a 6.5 Jap. Very mild cartridge, bullets expanded and penetrated well.
    Hmm... OK, I'll pick up some of the '06 loads if I can verify they have the Oryx bullet in them.

Thanks.

Just for info, it's info like this that made me wonder about our 120#-150# deer, vs "real big game", etc...

The Norma Oryx is a core-bonded bullet, where the core is bonded to the jacket, and these bullets tend to mushroom more slowly, less violently and in a more regular way on impact.

This helps maintain the mass of the bullet for deeper wound channels.

A core-bonded bullet is especially effective on big game such as deer, antelope and big boar with a big chest and tough muscles and skin, where the bullet has to travel further to reach vital organs. Depending on the weight of the game Norma offers individual solutions with different bullet weights.

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Hunt...yx-30-06-ammo/
    I have a bit of a problem putting our thin-skinned, shallow chested deer in the same category as a 'big boar'. The same with Antelope, but I'll give them a try. I just hate to have to trail a deer due to over-pentration, while the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips I've been using in the 7-08 for the last 11 years with DRT results has me spoiled.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-24-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Why change then??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Why change then??
    I'm just checking on some options that may give me better long range accuracy. Plus, I may have found a source for what I think is a limited amount of Sako ammo at a price that makes it worth trying without spending a bunch. If it shakes out I'll pass the info on.
    ~ George Washington

Info in case anyone is interested...

Here's a set of descriptions of the various bulkets used in the different Sako rifle ammo...

http://cdn1.sako.fi/sites/default/fi...hures_2017.pdf
    ~ George Washington