Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split casings

Default Split casings

Alright so I've got a palmetto State armory AK-47 that I've had less than a year now. I've shot it probably close to 1000 times now with all sorts of cheap ammo. About four months ago I sent it in for warranty work because my firing pin retaining pin was falling out. Got it back and I've fired it a few hundred more times since. No issue. Yesterday, went to sight it in for deer season using federal fusion 123 grain. Shot six times and each time the casing was ejected it had a nice notch a little below the neck of the shell. Not really a concern. Removed mag and ejected the shell in the chamber.
    It was split and the bullet was shoved down into the shell. About an 1/8 inch. Next round in the mag was also split. No spent rounds that we could find were split. I chambered and ejected the rest of the magazine and even shot about five more rounds to check each round but no other issues. I'll attach some pictures. Is this another issue with this gun or an ammo issue?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

That's weird.

I think you've got a bit of an issue with both.

I've never seen a bolt strong enough to push the projectile far enough into the neck to split the case.

I damn sure don't know how in the world the next round in the mag was already split.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Sorry I can't get it to focus but you can obviously see the indention after it's been ejected from firing. Manually racking rounds through would not leave a mark.

Looks like shitty brass on the rounds. Semi-auto guns tend to chew up brass pretty good.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Looks like shitty brass on the rounds. Semi-auto guns tend to chew up brass pretty good.
    Like I said these were federal fusion 123grain. Not exactly cheap. And idea on the splits?

Do you have other ammo you could use to see if it was just defective brass?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimeduckhunter View Post
    Do you have other ammo you could use to see if it was just defective brass?
    What do you mean? I shot five rounds after finding these splits. Of the same ammo. I've fired hundreds of different, cheap, Target rounds and never an issue. I've checked the rest of this box and the other box of the same brand. No other obvious issues.

IMG_0512.JPGThat's a gun issue. The bolt absolutely has enough inertia to seat the bullet deeper. I broke the extractor on my Grendel in a match Saturday. The broken piece went in the chamber with next round and locked the rifle up. The inertia from the bolt crushed the shoulder. I had to pry round out with a screwdriver.

FWIW, all the experts that claimed a 300 BO won't chamber in a 556 , horseshit. There is a larger case crunched by inertia of a bolt cycling. If you don't think the same can happen to a Black Out in s 556 rifle, you're wrong.

Shit. I really didn't want to lose this gun for deer season. But better to be safe. Any idea what I can tell the guy at the counter at psa?

Last edited by Colin4; 08-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Talk to media guy or Dakotas Day, they both work for PSA and could probably point you in the right direction
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    Like I said these were federal fusion 123grain. Not exactly cheap. And idea on the splits?

I've had brand new, right out of the package brass split running it through the sizing die. Winchester, Remington, Federal, they've all done it. Never had Hornady do it though. Just because you pay a bunch for ammo doesn't mean it is good brass. Switch to another brand and see if it happens again.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    IMG_0512.JPGThat's a gun issue. The bolt absolutely has enough inertia to seat the bullet deeper. I broke the extractor on my Grendel in a match Saturday. The broken piece went in the chamber with next round and locked the rifle up. The inertia from the bolt crushed the shoulder. I had to pry round out with a screwdriver.
    His seating issue looks like the neck tension was lost from the case split though.

Rounds are crimped. If I believe the necks split due to setback during cycling. I know the AKs cycle a lot more violently than an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Rounds are crimped. If I believe the necks split due to setback during cycling. I know the AKs cycle a lot more violently than an AR.
    Why would it do it for two rounds? I cycled the first 8 manually.

Also, how in the hell is it a gun issue when the next round in the mag looks the same before being cycled?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

The pics show the rounds with slit neck have the bullets setback in the case. Unless they were like that when you put them in the mag, it's a gun issue. They are making contact with something while being cycled.

Also I racked like fifteen rds through it after these two rds. Didn't happen again. Has never happened before. I just want to know what I need to tell these guys so they don't just assume I'm crazy

Oops reread it Missed the part where the one in mag was split. If that's the case it's an ammo issue. I don't think an AK has enough recoil to cause setback in the mag. Try different ammo. If it cycles good shitcan the bad batch.
    Last edited by FLS; 08-21-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Well gun went back to psa today. Hopefully it won't be two months like last time.