Thread: Scope height/ring question

Default Scope height/ring question

I was reading some old posts on the subject and someone referenced trig calculations so I will ask, since trig has long since passed me by. My basic question is what size(lowest) can I get by with? As we know, I ordered the wrong damn unimount/rings(see 6.5 shooters thread). I have constructed a cheek piece and it shoots fine, but I am going to change the rings out when I eventually change the stock. Here are the specs/measurements:

Savage 10 bull barrel with 20 moa picarinny rail
    Nightforce nxs 8x32x56 30mm scope
    Nightforce 1.375" unimount

Current sight height: 2.44" [(tube diameter/2) + (bolt diameter/2) + distance from top of bolt to bottom of scope]
    Current space between bell of scope and barrel: .68"(17.3mm)

I can either get the XD rings in .885 or 1.0"

By MY calculations, with the 1" rings, I would have a change of .375"(9.6mm) and scope would have .305" (7.7mm) of clearance.

With the .885, change would be .49"(12.6mm) and scope would still have clearance of .19"(4.9mm), which still should be sufficient clearance between the scope and barrel.

I emailed NF, and the seem to think that I need the 1" ring as I would only have a fraction of an inch clearance if I went lower, but I'm going to have a fraction of an inch anyway (1/10th" difference). Seems like the .885 will work as well.

Am I correct or amI missing something?

take the damn rifle to the gunsmith and let him help you, you can swap rings/bases until you get the correct pair- then pay the man for his knowledge and supply of rings and bases

Lows should clear a 56mm objective on a 20 moa base. I know the Burris tactical lows are .85

Take the gun to Santee and get Talley to hook you up..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Low Burris rings will be the ticket, I know because mine is the exact same and that's what I'm running. Talleys are also a great option.

Check out ARC rings as well. Quality stuff.

If you are in Orangeburg, take it to Talley in Santee and he will fix you up and mount correctly.

Go to talley in Santee. I carried mine there and was in and out in about 5-10 mins. Would of been quicker but he showed me around and gave me free hats and stickers.