Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat Rebuild

If you ever need parts for that old 15 evinrude I've got one sitting at the house that blew up this summer. They are some jam up motors, that little thing was dug out of Santee after hurricane Hugo and I ran it on a 14ft jon boat from when I was 7 years old until a couple years ago when it got replaced with a 25.

Looking good bud!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

What about a "deck" up front? I would think it would add strength and you could throw the battery and gas up there. Or a life jacket and an extra duck or 2. Also adding a piece of sheet aluminum to the exterior of the transom might save a little damage and add some strength.
    Last edited by JBK; 09-21-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Had same rig w 6hp 4 stke. Tiller extension, sat amidships on a bench. Not such a planing hull as you would think, but leveled off nicely @ 12 kts. One bag of decoys up fwd. think 15 hp 2 stk would have pushed it well. Also rebuilt transom w 3/4" marine ply and 2 layers of roven. Could make minor course corrections by leaning side to side. Good luck.

riverhawk and gheenoe are about the same, right? any noticeable difference yall know of? I agree with turbo if you could move your seat up forward a little and strap the goat to the gas can as far forward as you can. you arent looking to make it a two man boat. its a one man/one dog boat. i sure as hell wouldnt add 15 more pounds to the back or you'll be fixing the transom crack, next.

the boat stumphumper painted for me is "flimsy" back there. Johnson and I thought about taking it to a metal fab place and having them fab a piece of metal to mount there and along the gunnels in the "middle." I might get you to try that first and report back....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I will definately be adding a deck. I want some aluminum tubing, bent to fit, and a thin sheet of marine ply on top of a sheet of aluminum diamond plate. Foam underneath and cut out to fit a battery and gas tank.

More current pictures:

Just need to gel coat the outside here.
    Attachment 29073
    SharkDave, I was toying with that but I would have to cut out my livewell, which I am not above doing, but then I would also have to cut out the rear seat with floatation, and build me a new seat.

Attachment 29074

Attachment 29075

The transom will definately need some help. That one is just riveted to the outside of the glass. I need to come up about 2 1/2" to get the cavitation plate right.
    Attachment 29076
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Feetsy, I just got the motor, it was put up ten years ago, and I carried it outside for the first time in those ten years. Owner did burn the gas out of it first, but I imagine I will need to replace some fuel hoses, and impeller before I try to crank it, besides, until the transom is right, I am not even going to attempt to run them together.

Coastal, that's a generous offer. Thank you!
    Last edited by BigBrother; 09-21-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

sending you a text toofless.

Instead of cutting out the livewell, beef it up and put my seat there...

Dave, you're a genius!

Now, we cookin' with gas.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Very nice Justin! I love those rigs

Great project, BB. I built a fiberglass canoe once, but don't think I'd tackle this one like you are.

These boats can handle the water head on pretty well, but one almost calamitous experience taught 'River Hawk' and I that they don't like rushing water coming from the side. We got swamped at a curve on a swollen Reedy River once and we were lucky to get out of the water in one piece.

Keep the pics coming.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I've been turning it over in my head, and decided I'll take all the inside of it out. I'm going to make a forward and aft casting deck, with an aluminum bracket to set back the motor a little, then run it will a tiller extension and a grab bar that I can remove to fish with. I've got big plans for this rig in some skinny water off of some big water...

Need a source for some 1/2 coosa or comparable material...Wont need a full sheet.