Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone hunting from Ladder Stands ???

Heck, y'all had stands? I'd wander around till I found a tree I could climb and sit in the forks.

I bought a hawks denali this past summer and love it! Can't wait for October in allendale!

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Yall haven't lived until you climbed with a one piece Baker treestand, hugging a pine tree, and sitting on the platform with your feet hanging down..

We weren't very smart looking back..
    Dog gone belly scratchers

Yall haven't lived until you climbed with a one piece Baker treestand, hugging a pine tree, and sitting on the platform with your feet hanging down..

Damn you, I was over those nightmares.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

millennium seats hold up very well.

but I cant imagine trying to shoot a midlands deer out of a ladder stand. I'm almost as old as you and can certainly agree on the challenges....but I'll stick with loc-ons for now. I will say I have a couple of ground blind sets this year. Maybe i AM getting old....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Damn you, I was over those nightmares.
    I went hunting with a buddy when I was 12 or so, and climbed a tall pine in one of those one piece rectangle stands with the hammock type seat where you had to twist to sit once you got up the tree (can't remember the brand). No rope for gun, no harness. I was scared to death. Think that's the last time I did that

Tree Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    I am just curious about ladder stands that I can bow hunt out of. May pick up the rifle late in the season, but its mostly bow and arrow. At 55 years old, I got to be comfortable. If I am comfortable, I can stay in the stand along time. Has anyone had those Millenium seats for 4 or 5 years. I figure that mesh will go bad after a few years. Can you get replacement mesh, or you got to buy a new seat?
    I have. No problem. Mesh has not deteriorated at all.
    Carolina Counsel

I have 5 or 6 Millennium Loc-ons that I have had for 5+ years. I leave them out all season and the seats are still in great shape. I always take them down and store them in the barn after the season.

Yep Baker stands, 40' up a pine in a Treelounge w/bow platform, and using just lineman spikes and loc-ons.

All of the above without a safety harness!

Very dumb. Definitely had some close calls over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by baydog View Post
    Don't own any but those 20 or so ft millenium ladders, especially the double seaters, are pretty dang comfortable, probably the most comfortable I've sat in. Pricey, but my ass being comfortable is pretty important
    Yeap. The sling type seats are the way to go. Muddy makes some for less than a Millennium if looking for a lower price point.

My primary deer hunting partner and I mostly hunt from either a 12' tripod, a standard ladder stand, or my newest ladder stand that has a nice rotating seat on it. This last one has a suspension seat and the rail is set low enough that it can be used for bow or gun... (stock picture below).

The first two have been hunted out of for a number of years and quite a few deer have been taken from each. The last one has only been hunted from on a few occasions and has yet to get bloody, but I expect it to see a lot of hunting time this year in its new location.

I also use a Summit Backpacker climber (same as the Viper but with arms that fold flat) if I'm going to hunt an area that doesn't have a stand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ladder-Tree-...8AAOSwcUBYE2Bp

s-l1600.jpg

All three stands have artificial Christmas tree branches hanging from the rails and platforms along with some strips of camo burlap and we've had deer walk right next to the stands with either of us sitting in them. The ladders and tripod legs have some dead branches leaned against them, but the deer get used to them being in position pretty quickly, so as long as we don't educate them we haven't seen any need to do more than that.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-22-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    I am just curious about ladder stands that I can bow hunt out of. May pick up the rifle late in the season, but its mostly bow and arrow. At 55 years old, I got to be comfortable. If I am comfortable, I can stay in the stand along time. Has anyone had those Millenium seats for 4 or 5 years. I figure that mesh will go bad after a few years. Can you get replacement mesh, or you got to buy a new seat?
    Find a summit "1.5 man" ladder stand. Plenty of room to rifle hunt when you get the urge and compact enough to not be much of a nuisance for now hunting. I set my stands up to shoot sitting down if at all possible and my "man and a half" is the best ladder I've used. I really don't like ladders for bow hunting, but this one I actually don't mind.