Thread: You Should Always Buy The Large Pizza

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default You Should Always Buy The Large Pizza

An Engineer Explains Why You Should Always Order the Larger Pizza

Most of us tend to order a pizza based on the amount we plan to eat—and there's nothing wrong with that—but if you're trying to make your dollar stretch as far as it can, your best bet is to just order the biggest one you can buy. Why? The increase in size to cost always comes out in your favor. Here's why.

One day last year, an engineer and I went to a pizza place for lunch. The engineer told me he wasn't very hungry, but he said he was going to get the 12-inch medium instead of the 8-inch small — because the medium was more than twice as big as the small, and it cost only a little bit more. This sort of blew my mind.

...The math of why bigger pizzas are such a good deal is simple: A pizza is a circle, and the area of a circle increases with the square of the radius.

So, for example, a 16-inch pizza is actually four times as big as an 8-inch pizza.

And when you look at thousands of pizza prices from around the U.S., you see that you almost always get a much, much better deal when you buy a bigger pizza.

They also include an interactive graph that compares average pizza prices from pizzerias and chains across the country. You can drag the slider at the bottom of their graph to see exactly how much larger that bigger pizza is compared to the smaller ones, and at the average prices for each, how much you actually come out ahead. For example, One 18-inch pizza has roughly the same area as 1.7 14-inch pizzas or 5.1 8-inch pizza, To get the same amount of pizza you get in an $18.68 18-inch pizza, you'd have to spend an extra $5.29 on 14-inch pizzas, or an extra $23.09 on 8-inch pizzas. See how the numbers add up? It's almost universally a better deal—mathematically, mind you—to just get the bigger pizza.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

The same thought process applies to hay bales.

Something like 70%+ of your hay lies in the outer 18" of the bale.

That's why it's important to wrap/tarp/barn store your hay for feed quality sake.

Math is cool. And, it's pretty simple.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

You are still spending more money than you need to.

cici's or $5 hot n ready's your best deal

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    You are still spending more money than you need to.
    Not if you like leftovers.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I'm trying to cut back, but the Marcos near my house has a rut worn to my door. The old country pepperoni they have is the tits. Thin crust, well done. And large.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

A 7' cast net covers 36% more area than a 6' net. An 8' net is 77% bigger than a 6' net.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Interesting. I just bought a jug of oil at Orileys. Jug was on sale for $20.99 and I already had a filter. Guy at the counter says if I grab a POS filter its $1 cheaper. "Umm ok" I say, and throw it in the back of the truck on the way out. The world is going crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Not if you like leftovers.
    I do not trust people that will not eat leftovers.

Kinda like buying a 4 pack of tp. Why?? You always gonna have to shit. Get the family pack. Cause that's not where you wanna make budget cuts. Simple, and NO math involved.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A 7' cast net covers 36% more area than a 6' net. An 8' net is 77% bigger than a 6' net.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    very good info given in this under - rated - post

*pro tip*
    make your net guy learn to throw a bigger net so you spend more time with hooks in the water!
    Last edited by DoubleSprig; 09-19-2017 at 07:21 PM.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

I wish I could throw an 8 foot net.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    very good info given in this under - rated - post

*pro tip*
    make your net guy learn to throw a bigger net so you spend more time with hooks in the water!
    I use to have that philosophy but now I would much rather rapid fire my 6 foot net. Give me somebody who knows how to drive the boat and can put me on the next pull without backing up 20 yards and I can feel that cooler up quick like if the shrimp are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liquors are not always a better bargain per ounce when buying larger sizes. Some companies will throw money into pints as well as half gallons, 175mls. Like pints of svedka are 4.99 a pint and 12.99 a 750ml. You can put up a sign two for ten on the pints, and people will go crazy over them. They can't see the 4.99 that's always been there. Fireball, the meth of liquors is cheaper by the 50ml and still cheaper in the 100ml as compared to buying pints, halves, 750mls, or liters.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I wish I could throw an 8 foot net.
    Look up the "Calusa method". The guy that owns Haddrell's Tackle Shop showed me how. There are videos online that describe it. It seems complicated at first but it becomes muscle memory after a few casts. I'm only 5'8" and I throw an 8' net. I don't go any bigger because a bigger net gets too hard to dump without standing on something.

Like a friend once told me in reference to throwing cast nets for shrimp, "If you throw tacos, they'll run for the border. You have to throw burgers."

Thinking like a jew about a food product that ain't kosher. Life is full of contradictions

"Fireball, the meth of liquors" this is hilarious
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

It's funny because it's true

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    It's funny because it's true
    I tried that shit one time. I'll stick to my scotch.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie