Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen renovation question

Default Kitchen renovation question

What is ball-park guess to renovate a kitchen?

New appliances ($5000), new cabnets & counter tops, new lights, etc

Current kitchen is about 12x12 with separate dining room (about 12x12), we want to combine two rooms to make one bigger open kitchen. It will require the removal of wall.

I realize this is not enough info for real number, but wondering roughly how much

As you say, not enough info.

I wouldn't think of remodeling a kitchen for less than $25k.....which is why I have always had an old shitty kitchen.
    (And I do it for a living)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

appliances will cost more than that.
    countertops? Holy shit at the range available. Granite. Quartz. Etc...
    Cabinets are cheap (in comparison).
    Some lights are cheap but those undercounter ones are expensive as fuck.

good luck
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    What is ball-park guess to renovate a kitchen?

New appliances ($5000), new cabnets & counter tops, new lights, etc

Current kitchen is about 12x12 with separate dining room (about 12x12), we want to combine two rooms to make one bigger open kitchen. It will require the removal of wall.

I realize this is not enough info for real number, but wondering roughly how much
    A lot. How much depends on what you purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    A lot. How much depends on what you purchase.
    Countertops alone can range from $1,000 to $15,000

I just finished my kitchen about a month ago. New appliances and counter-tops, refaced all the cabinet doors, added a farm sink and back splash, replaced weird square ceiling tiles with drywall and knockdown ceiling, added recessed lights and new light fixtures.

The bill from Lowe's was around $5500, the drywall and recessed lighting was $800, around $250 for paint, and $3200 for quartz counter-tops. Incidental tools, supplies and other things probably took up another $1000.

Kitchen 2.jpgKitchen 1.jpgKitchen 3.jpgKitchen 4.jpgKitchen 5.jpgKitchen 6.jpg
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

That looks nice Mo

Im finishing a remodel myself, and i would say the kitchen (not including framing/rough ins) is gonna cost me 18-23k including random shit i had to buy, and me breaking shit along the way cause im not gentle with my touch.

Stove (gas 4 burner with griddle 1 side), microwave/stove combo wall mount, french door fridge - 6200$ install included. Price appliances from everyone and theyre mother. I probably priced 6 places. Big difference.

Countertops, mine is a square kitchen with counter tops on 3 sides, 2-1/2' deep by 22 feet of running counter, install and double bin stainless sink - 4600$ (cambria quartz, would reccomend)

Fixtures, I am a stickler about fixtures, I wanted satin nickel everything with touch to turn on sink and include undercounter lights and under cabinet lights - 1600$

Cabinets , 7200$ but i have a ton of cabinets in the kitchen and I cant stand cheaply built cabinets, I am rough on stuff and got a lot of upgrades. I think this is where I went overkill. but Oh well, they are installing today so too late.

I was pretty thorough with pricing different people and using some of my contacts to try and get deals, I work in the building trade as a LBM supplier so I knew where to start and who to talk to which i think helped alot. Let me know what area you are in and I can probably get you some good contacts to start with.

I am doing the "backsplash" myself with some pecan tongue and groove I ran at the shop so i saved that cost but i think the price for my backsplash I got was like 1100$ installed.

Obviously this wont match yours exact, but just to give you an Idea. Definitely take your time and plan it out as best as you can.

The budget on a kitchen depends entirely on your selections. You could reface the existing cabinets, add new counters and buy lower grade appliances/fixtures and get out cheap. Or you could go all out and buy cabinets that cost $250+/lf, countertops that are $400/lf and appliances that are $50k. You have to decide where your budget lies and make selections that fit it. Typically, the kitchen and bathroom are the most expensive rooms in the house to renovate.

Basically, you could spend $10k to $100k.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Mo, what did you buy from Lowe's and how was that experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    Mo, what did you buy from Lowe's and how was that experience?

The farm sink, backsplash, refrigerator, wall oven, faucets, and cabinet hardware. I also added a Nest thermostat, three cameras and smoke detector, three ceiling fans for the porch and a bathroom vanity while I was at it.

I bought all the cabinet materials locally (Lake City Lumber). I'm thinking I was around $600 in door stop, MDF and jigs to reface the cabinets.

It was a mixed bag with Lowe's. We used a project planner lady to get everything consolidated in one purchase. She stayed late (like, 9pm late) a couple nights working with us and I was happy with what she did for us. Everything was fine except for the wall oven getting back ordered twice, dropping $200 in price in the meantime. I had to call to find out why it was never delivered. They dropped the price $300 for my trouble, so I'm not terribly upset. One early bobble was with the Euro hinges. I need 58 hinges, they came in contractor packs of 25, so I needed one contractor pack and 8 more hinges. The rang up 58 contractor packs, putting us about $5000 over budget. Once they got it corrected and me calmed down everything was good. We returned our first set of pulls with zero difficulty, even though they were a special order.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Sounds like Lowe's did fairly well. In my biased opinion, you used the Box store for exactly what it is good at- helping do it yourself'rs. I don't believe you would have the same experience had they done the kitchen 'turn key'.

You made some big changes- looks good.

We did ours years ago with fresh cabinets from Home Depot, marble countertop with double stainless sink/faucets. New appliances, new tile floor and backsplashes. It was around $12K to $15K if I recall.

I would NOT do big box store cabinets again. Ever. Custom only.

Do NOT get a dark (almost black) marble counter if you don't like losing anything dark put down on it, instantly. LOL
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

MO, I know a place your skills can excel, we need some new cabinets ( not green and a new island with a marble top so I can make better catheads).Nice kitchen, boy the little lady is growing, nice work Mo.

I am in the middle of what some are going thru but mine started with the great room , all new paint, new fan and lamps, recovered 4 pieces of furniture , new rug, new tables, and a new 60" HDTV over the fireplace. On to the dining room, new paint , rug, lighting and stacked crown moulding, deciding about the bar alcove off the dining room now, more money , more money. To the current undertaking the kitchen, new fans, lamps, furniture , recovered furniture, paint, new cabinet doors and drawer fronts, self closing euro hinges and slides, some doors turned into a bank of cabinets.Going to cut down the bar behind the sink so we can have one sheet of solid surface counter. new counter by the stove and all new SS appliances.As they say it ain't nothing but a few new Berettas.

Life would have been a lot simpler before the female was invented.

That's a F#### ing fact!

Just finished this one. To give you an idea, the cabinets were around $250 lf, counters $80 sf, I think $8k for appliances, and that backsplash was $38 sf just for damn tile. Prayers for your marriage.

IMG_2466.jpg

Charlie what type of paint do you use? How do you apply it?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

We do what the customers ask for.. cabinets get primed with a lacquer..Oil or modified alkyd. Hvlp sprayed on site for the frames and doors are painted in a shop. I don't do the painting so I'm just repeating what my painter tells me. The waterbased stuff is nice I think, drys fast and won't stink up the house. Seems to be pretty durable.