Thread: Cops and schools had no duty to shield students in Parkland shooting, says judge who

Default Cops and schools had no duty to shield students in Parkland shooting, says judge who

school is mandatory, therefore they were effectively "in custody", plaintiffs should appeal

It was ruled years ago (by SCOTUS?) that the police are not obligated to protect citizens prior to a crime being committed. I think this is BS as long as there are gun laws or any restrictions on personal defense.

However, in this case, Peterson was paid by the School Board (I think) as a School Resource Officer, and it was his sole duty to provide security to the school and the students, unless he has a printed job description that says otherwise. Thus, even if he was the only officer obligated to do so and got killed in the process, IMO, he had a duty to enter that school and engage the shooter(s). Also, considering that fact that he had the school security cameras set up on something like a 30 minute delay, he further abdicated his duties that contributed to the murders and should be held accountable for it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

So the new slogan on the side of patrol cars is "To Protect Criminals and Get Home Alive"?

I'm simply blown away by this judges opinion.

Or “Help will arrive 10 minutes after you’re dead”.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

"As long as we go home safe..." is a better slogan for the cops.

Frick that Judge...

Maybe where you live, but we don’t care what a judge says around here. I don’t know anyone that would have stood around while kids were being shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The idea that he didn't have a responsibility and duty to go in that school is laughable. Judge should be ashamed.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Shoulda read, Cops and schools had no NUTTS to shield students in Parkland shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    Maybe where you live, but we don’t care what a judge says around here. I don’t know anyone that would have stood around while kids were being shot.

I would have been the first in the door heading toward gunfire.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    It was ruled years ago (by SCOTUS?) that the police are not obligated to protect citizens prior to a crime being committed. I think this is BS as long as there are gun laws or any restrictions on personal defense.

However, in this case, Peterson was paid by the School Board (I think) as a School Resource Officer, and it was his sole duty to provide security to the school and the students, unless he has a printed job description that says otherwise. Thus, even if he was the only officer obligated to do so and got killed in the process, IMO, he had a duty to enter that school and engage the shooter(s). Also, considering that fact that he had the school security cameras set up on something like a 30 minute delay, he further abdicated his duties that contributed to the murders and should be held accountable for it.
    Agreed. Since Columbine, many PD's have long since abandoned the notion of forming a cordon and negotiating with armed intruders in schools. PD's concluded after Columbine that these aren't hostage situations but incidences where carnage is the goal and nothing is to be gained by NOT storming the building.

My first thought was that it's a slippery slope. I'm not sure I want to set a precedence for suing cops every time they fail to protect someone.

But ultimately I agree with Woodie. This wasn't any police officer. This was the SRO, who's sole job was that school.

Most any police officer will tell you that they aren't there to stop a crime from being committed. They can't in most cases. Their role is more to clean up afterwards and punish those responsible. I'm ok with that. That's my job to protect myself and my family. The problem is that more and more of society think that police are going to protect them and they don't have any personal accountability in it.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 12-19-2018 at 12:02 PM.

We have a rule, we don’t wait. First to arrive means first in the door. You do what you can while help is on the way.

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?