Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a gun...deciding between 257 Roberts and 280 Remington

Don't count out the Roberts just because you have a long action. The cartridge is based on a 8x57mm cartridge, which is a long action caliber in my book. Some would argue that it's "intermediate" action, but I'd rather more action length than I need in some cases than not enough.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Don't count out the Roberts just because you have a long action. The cartridge is based on a 8x57mm cartridge, which is a long action caliber in my book. Some would argue that it's "intermediate" action, but I'd rather more action length than I need in some cases than not enough.
    Def didnt all the research and the 257 can be ran on the LA. Which is why I am considering it... Both 257 Bob and 280 Rem are readily available ammo so that isnt a deciding factor.

280,been shooting one for 14 years,great round

Killed my first deer ever with my Dad's custom 257 Roberts. Sentimental favorite. It is a great cartridge that does a fine job on Whitetails ( like all the quarterbores). Accurate and mild recoiling to boot.

I have my eye on a Ruger #1 in 257 Bob that a friend is thinking about selling.. I have made him a generous offer..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Look at a 257 weatherby

Finally^^ Thats a smoker for sure.

Personally if I was stuck in a LA then it would be 7 mag or a 7 WBY mag for commons then if your real smart 7 WSM or a 7 Saum throated deep as phug and seated way out.. But since you only asked between the two its 280 every day all day.
    Genesis 9;2

A long 7saum on a long action throated for 180 or 195s would be tits
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Killed my first deer ever with my Dad's custom 257 Roberts. Sentimental favorite. It is a great cartridge that does a fine job on Whitetails ( like all the quarterbores). Accurate and mild recoiling to boot.

I have my eye on a Ruger #1 in 257 Bob that a friend is thinking about selling.. I have made him a generous offer..
    You, uhmmm, got that fellow's number. I'd like to make an offer too.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Finally^^ Thats a smoker for sure.

Personally if I was stuck in a LA then it would be 7 mag or a 7 WBY mag for commons then if your real smart 7 WSM or a 7 Saum throated deep as phug and seated way out.. But since you only asked between the two its 280 every day all day.
    7RM, one of my favorites. I really want to pop something with this Sako.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I shoot most of my deer with a 7mm RM and it's over-gunned for 90% of my hunting in SC. A belted magnum gives no meaningful advantage on deer inside of 250-300 yards as far as I can tell. But, if you like to stretch shots across fields or down powerline ROW's, then yeah. I've just kind of settled on using one gun the last couple of years.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Pretty sure O am gonna go with the 257 Roberts. Bc I already have multi other calibers that are or around the 6.5. Found a shilen barrel for it. Should make a fine SC deer rifle

25-06?

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    25-06 is junk
    Fify
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    25-06?
    Yes almost the same

Go 25-06 for sure. Great deer round for the distance you are shooting.

I have a Sako AV with a Hart barrel, McMillan stock, Zeiss Diavari V 3-12x56 shooting a max charge of IMR4350 & 115gr NBT that just murders deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Fify
    What makes it junk, and what round is superior in that category?

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Go 25-06 for sure. Great deer round for the distance you are shooting.

I have a Sako AV with a Hart barrel, McMillan stock, Zeiss Diavari V 3-12x56 shooting a max charge of IMR4350 & 115gr NBT that just murders deer.
    I'd rebarrel it to something else so I could say I had a Sako again.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    What round is superior in that category?
    All of them.

When this one quits shootn I'll do just that...

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    What makes it junk, and what round is superior in that category?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    All of them.
    What he said