Thread: Remington v3 review

Default Remington v3 review

I own 2 Remington scatter guns and love them both with a passion. It's obvious that they haven't launched a new shotgun worth a crap in a long time. The 105cti was a train wreck, as was the 887, and even 870's aren't made like they used to be. I was waiting on this American firearm icon to come out with something to get them back in the game. Haven't shot a VersaMax yet, but everyone I've spoken with who owns one likes it. I think the VM might have started it, but the v3 only solidifies the notion that Remington is serious about making reliable shotguns again. This versaport action seems to be the real deal.

I have no use for a gun that shoots 3.5s, so when I heard they were launching a 3" gun based on the same action the VM was built on, I was optimistic. So I waited around a while following the initial launch for the v3 to drop in price a bit and see if there were any recalls or minor flaws that become evident after some field use. In the meantime I squirrelled away some money and figured I'd worked hard, so this duck season I deserved to finally treat myself. I knew what they were selling for locally and also knew I could save hundreds by looking elsewhere. So I searched Gunbroker and found a dealer in PA selling em for about ~$450. I snatched up a black one with a 28" barrel and paid my local guy $25 to do the FFL transfer. So I had less than $500 tied up in it with shipping.

I had shouldered one in a gun shop back in 2016 and it felt as I imagined...just like my trusty 870. One of the good parts, for me, is it has the same Remchoke system as my 870, unlike the ProBore Remington come up with on the VM. So I didn't have to go buy any new chokes.

I've shot a few rounds of skeet with the gun and it was perfect, although I was not. But I figured 23 out of 25 wasn't bad with a new gun that has a length of pull too long for me. The results with ducks are the same. A couple dozen ducks have died with it so far this season and I'm still in love. The gun hadn't failed yet. Zero hang ups, stuck shells, etc. The receiver is milled from a solid piece of aluminum so at least I know it will never rust. I have never shot a $4000 shotgun before, so maybe my bar is set a bit low, but as far as I am concerned the gun swings smooth and handles well.

I'm very pleased with it in all aspects and will continue to put it though the ringer to see if I can induce a hiccup. I hope it stands the test of time as my initial impression of the gun so far has been very positive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-20-2018 at 11:49 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Nice review. The versaport gas system is a clone of benellis Argo system used in the m4. Very reliable. Glad to hear positive reviews about a remmy
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I'll echo these sentiments. My story is very similar. So far I've got half of a duck season and a dove hunt on mine and I've been very pleased so far. Hopefully as I break it in a little more it will get better and better. I'm impressed by the lack of recoil and how snappy the action feels when you shoot.

This is not helping my wallet at all.
    Carry on.
    There's a fine line between HARDCORE AND IGNORANCE!

Thanks- I just found my son's birthday present, he has shot an 870 express for 20 years and it's my hand me down first year express from 1987

Glad to hear the good report. I came very close to buying a V3 last year but bought a 12ga 3" franchi affinity instead. Am extremely pleased with the purchase and service so far. Have been a loyal Remington shotgun owner for many years for bird hunting, 1100s and 870s and a couple newer 1187s. Issues with the last couple guns helped make up my mind. I truly hope Remington has turned things around quality control wise.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Well find out, mine is supposed to show up tomorrow.