Thread: Tohatsu

Default Tohatsu

Toying with the idea of repowering my old jon boat. I like the boat so I just need the motor. I have heard good things about the Tohatsu motors. I was thinking 15hp or 20hp. I believe I read that in 2018 they're coming out with efi on those little motors?

Anyone have any input on those motors?

Thanks in Advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Some high end skiff makers put them on their boats so they must be good quality especially regarding weight to power. I would think service opportunities in your area would be the the big concern.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

I had a 9.9 i sold to cut em on a 1436 lowe. It would haul a good load and was pretty quick. Never had any issues with it and wouldnt think twice about buying another one.
    Last edited by adamb61085; 09-16-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Got a 2014 20 that I bought from otter in the trading post a few years back. It hasn't missed a lick in the few years I've had it.

Buy a 25 and if you don't like it, sell it to a dude from Southeast Arkansas
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Buy a 25 and if you don't like it, sell it to a dude from Southeast Arkansas
    They like the new ones too? Haha
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Someone once told me, look on the back of almost any outboard-powered small fishing boat in Japan, and it has a Tohatsu on it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Default Tohatsu

All Mercurys up to 25hp are made by tohatsu. If you're ok with mercury there's not much difference between the 2. I think tohatsu's corrosion resistance is not as great as merc or yamaha, but my experience is not from the newer motors
    Last edited by Gone South; 09-16-2017 at 05:37 PM.

I ran a 03 25 4 stroke for 4 years that motor never missed a beat and I ran it hard. Have a 08 50tldi now same story and hauls a load great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a 2014 20hp on a 1540 and it does everything I need it to.. No issues thus far.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Great motor, nuff said!

Good motors, but nothing beats a Yamaha.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

If you had seen the corrosion on the inside of some yamahas you would disagree. The new tohatsus are coming with efi. Mercury actually designed the system and sold it to that su for them to put it on the small motors. It's hard to beat the small ones especially when you can get some of them with power t/t

Thanks everyone for the input. I am interested in the 20hp I think. Going to try and get my old evinrude going and maybe sell that to fund some of the new motor.