Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Advice

Had plans to get a couple of golden retrievers a few years ago. Ended up with two mutts that were given to us by a friend. They were offered to us as puppies, and kids had to have them once they saw them. I did not want them, but they have turned into really good pets. Stay around the house and are great with the kids.

Kids should have a dog IMO. My oldest just turned 7 and is a lot of help with her puppy. We just got her in July but it's been a great addition to the family and it's perfect for the girls. She is a small Schnauzer and they are hypoallergenic so the girls can play with her all day and never sneeze. She can jump on you or the couch all day and never leave a single hair. It's amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man my springer is a great house dog and bird dog. You will not go wrong with one of them.

Puppy breath to me is reminds me almost of a dirty diaper. I mean I love my kids, and I loved a couple of my dogs. I like the couple of them I have now okay. I'm really going to love my next chocolate lab named Snatch. My Boykin is cool. It's not his fault that he was basically raised by three kids while I was trying to train him with the little time I had then. Some days he likes to hunt, others he acts like an ass who's just happy to be out there and away from the house. I don't get upset either ways these days, I'm not taking him to anyone elses place though.. I've never owned a dog without a purpose, nor my wife until she bought one of these Doodle things about a year back. That dog is silly as shit, everything about him. But he brings them happiness which is I guess his purpose. Those things will shed by the way, even though they say they don't, and your wife might have read it somewhere. And they cost money to keep up, no shit. I'd just get them some silly dog to make them happy.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 09-16-2017 at 07:15 AM.

I've never known anyone to own a dachshund and not become forever loyal dachshund people. They also make great blood trail dogs. I'm considering one to replace my geriatric dogs when they go.

Miniature Golden Doodle

Whatever it is... it's better than a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Whatever it is... it's better than a cat.
    This right here!

Also, paying for a mutt is just plain stupid. If you wanna mix go to a shelter.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Go rescue a young dog and call it a day. Mutts are the best. All dogs are what you make of them. Sounds like your trying to keep it economical.

G
    Yes, I'm trying to keep it economical. I'd love to have something that is very low maintenance, doesn't require a lot of training, and doesn't have a high energy level. I realize all of this is hard to find in a dog.

I've started looking at the adoption possibilities. Sure seems like a lot of pit bulls, boxers, and the like on the adoption market. I'm open to suggestions for the best places to adopt in the Columbia area. I appreciate all of the feedback.

We've got a pretty good shelter over here.

Sounds like you don't need a dog.

See if you can "pet sit" for a friend sometime soon. Give it a week with a dog and see how the kids and wife respond to the routine. All breeds require a lot of attention, training, and $. They are like having a kid in many respects. You will find yourself very frustrated if you buy a dog; don't really train it, and leave it in a kennel most of the day. It's not fair to you or the the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Sounds like you don't need a dog.

See if you can "pet sit" for a friend sometime soon. Give it a week with a dog and see how the kids and wife respond to the routine. All breeds require a lot of attention, training, and $. They are like having a kid in many respects. You will find yourself very frustrated if you buy a dog; don't really train it, and leave it in a kennel most of the day. It's not fair to you or the the dog.
    Truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Don't beagles bark a lot? As frufru as they are, poodle mixes seem to be popular family pets with claims that they don't shed. I know a lot of people and families with them, the golden doodles especially, and they all seem to love them. They're also very smart and with normal obedience training and socialization can be pretty cool dogs all things considered.

Cockers: correct me if I'm wrong but the ones I've been around literally don't stop moving and don't tire out.
    Everyone I know that has a Golden Doodle either hates it, or give them away...

My wife loves hers.

20170905_204737.jpg

my dog days are over for the next 20 years or so. Chasing around a 6 year old and 3 year old, going to soccer and ballet 5 afternoons a week, and my wife and my work schedules just don't allow it. I can barely keep up with myself right now. But once the kids are grown, I would like a dog of some kind:

It may be the pic HS but that dog looks huge

Pit bulls are very low maintenance...you never have to feed them

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    It may be the pic HS but that dog looks huge
    He's like normal lab size, as if you're including the hair. If he's grown out he's poofy, but if he jumps into the water he looks like a plucked chicken. Depends on his cut, i dont handle it. I know my wife takes him to get it done. It took a while to find one who doesn't make him look like an ass.

20170916_121318.jpg

He didn't go back to this one.

20170905_204959.jpg

My wife had an English Springer before we were married and he became ours. Lived to be 14 and was a great dog, although he did not hunt. I remember our son using him as a ramp for his Tonka trucks and Matchbox cars.

After the Springer, we got an English Cocker. Another great family dog and this one hunts. He's been great on the dove field and is really laid back. He sheds. They are a handful until at least 2 or 3. He will not be the last English Cocker in our home.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    He's like normal lab size, as if you're including the hair. If he's grown out he's poofy, but if he jumps into the water he looks like a plucked chicken. Depends on his cut, i dont handle it. I know my wife takes him to get it done. It took a while to find one who doesn't make him look like an ass.

20170916_121318.jpg

He didn't go back to this one.

20170905_204959.jpg
    You could let it grow really long, shear him yourself and use it to make some socks
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...