Thread: Tree Expert Questions... re: Water Oak Rotted Roots?

Default Tree Expert Questions... re: Water Oak Rotted Roots?

I was extremely fortunate during the storm this past weekend and only lost one large tree, about 80 yds behind the house. It was an older, 80'+, water oak, over 18" at chest height, and the first limb I cut off about 25' above the base had about 54 rings, fwiw.

What amazed me, and raises some real questions, is that the roots were obviously rotted. When you grab them they just break off in your hand in pieces. The soil is a clay/sand mix, with moderate undergrowth around it and a few dozen other oaks, poplars, sweet gums, etc.

I'm assuming that some of this root decay may well have started during the drought years over the past 12-15 years, but don't know.

Possibly related to it is that the large, dead pines I've cut down the past few years, and now this oak... along with the four or five similarly-sized oaks next door... have all had field ant nests packed around the trunks. I was told by the Clemson lab that Field Ants (which I gave them samples of to analyze) do not bore into wood or cause any damage themselves, but, rather take advantage of wood damage caused by other insects and/or disease.

Can anyone verify this one way or the other?

If the ants aren't creating any issues with the trees and their roots, is their nest presence around the base of the tree(s) indicative of a dying tree that I/we should be harvesting and/or taking down before they fall?

Is there any other way I can tell if what appears to be a live, fairly healthy tree, is in fact highly susceptible to being blown over, particularly when there are hundreds of other trees around them to help protect from the full impact of the winds?

This question/concern doesn't just apply to Water Oaks, although they are the dominant species other than Sweet Gums, but also pines, maples, persimmon, and a few others.

Thanks for any insight or applicable suggestions.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I didn't realize this was such a tough question. Guess I'll ask the Extension and post up what they say in case anyone might be interested.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

93% of mysteries in nature can be attributed to nematodes.