Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting during the day

Default Hunting during the day

I've always hunted gators at night. I see guys killing nice gators in daylight, and am curious as to what your methods are? I've got rod and reel setups, harpoons, drag lines and snares. I carry my binoculars when I go so I can avoid having to be too close if they're too small. A couple buddies are coming in town this season, and one wants to hunt during the day. Thanks for any input.

The folks I went with know their stuff and they laughed at the idea of going at night. I think the method is the same whether day or night, but you can see what you're doing during the day.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Absolutely, have always done it during the day. I find early morning when the water is still slick and they are moving around a good bit to have always been productive. Doing it in the daylight makes everything easier in my opinion. Sounds like by your mention of gear, you know the methods and they don't change, day or night.

Killed a 12' 565lb big boy yesterday after lunch.

Thanks for the input. Do they tend to get more in the grass and other cover more during the day, or still stay just in the edges of the lake/river, with the occasional one swimming around?

I mainly use the harpoon, and stick them, occasionally throwing it. Used a rod and reel last year for the first time and lost a 10'+ because I was an idiot and had the drag too tight.

What are y'all using primarily in the daytime to get a line in them?

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Absolutely, have always done it during the day. I find early morning when the water is still slick and they are moving around a good bit to have always been productive. Doing it in the daylight makes everything easier in my opinion. Sounds like by your mention of gear, you know the methods and they don't change, day or night.

Killed a 12' 565lb big boy yesterday after lunch.
    That dang trailer was FULL
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    That dang trailer was FULL
    Lots of Gator Fried Rice
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Where they hang out I guess would be kinda area specific, but we usually see them swimming around in the mornings quite a bit. Yesterday the big one was just cruising a big wide open area at 12:00PM, and there was another 10' plus on the grass line 300-500yds away..

We talked yesterday at length about how their behavior toward boats and everything has changed dramatically since the seasons first began. Or perhaps it changes quickly when they get one night of spotlighting when the season rolls around. The days of getting close enough to harpoon one first, at least in my area, are gone. The gators aren't having any of that and go down quick when you get in their vicinity. So to answer your question, rod and reel yes. That being said, if its a big gator we've always felt a lot better with two hooks in him til we can get a line in him with bow etc.
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 09-15-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Where they hang out I guess would be kinda area specific, but we usually see them swimming around in the mornings quite a bit. Yesterday the big one was just cruising a big wide open area at 12:00PM, and there was another 10' plus on the grass line 300-500yds away..

We talked yesterday at length about how their behavior toward boats and everything has changed dramatically since the seasons first began. Or perhaps it changes quickly when they get one night of spotlighting when the season rolls around. The days of getting close enough to harpoon one first, at least in my area, are gone. The gators aren't having any of that and go down quick when you get in their vicinity. So to answer your question, rod and reel yes. That being said, if its a big gator we've always felt a lot better with two hooks in him til we can get a line in him with bow etc.
    its not one night of spotlighting, its two-three weeks worth of spotlighting from the "gator scouters". i havent gator hunted in four seasons, and it was already getting pretty tough the last time i went. I imagine now is much worse.

those first 2-3 years were unbelievable. glad i got to getting while the getting was good.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    its not one night of spotlighting, its two-three weeks worth of spotlighting from the "gator scouters". i havent gator hunted in four seasons, and it was already getting pretty tough the last time i went. I imagine now is much worse.

those first 2-3 years were unbelievable. glad i got to getting while the getting was good.
    You are correct, and it's way worse and really aggravating for sure.

Daylight & low water. Why go at night? Makes it easy to see during the day.

Took out a buddy this weekend. He didn't want to try for one if it wasn't at least 8'. He didn't need to shoot one of any size just to shoot one. Saw the sunset on the river, and the sunrise. Between the huge amount of excess water from Irma, and how spooked the gators are, it sucked. Everything we saw, was up against the grass where you couldn't cast a hook or throw one. Nor get close with the harpoon.

Had found a spot last year off the river that held nice gators and they were naive. Same spot this season had a dike blow out and water ran out from it like rapids in a mountain river. Seeing the eyes at night makes it easier to spot them at a distance. My hat is off to you guys who get them in the daylight. It isn't like it was by no means back in the first few seasons. It's not hardly fun anymore. Got another buddy in town this weekend coming up. He has a Southern Coastal tag also. Let's hope more of the excess water drains from the swamp.

Bear that is 100% the conditions we faced last week on a middle coastal tag. We had the same discussion about how it's more aggravating than fun now due to the pressure. I go in 2 weeks to Bear Island for the first time so we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping it's more like the old days too.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Daylight is all we hunt. Bring good binos and watch for them swimming. As others have said, right after sunrise is a good time to watch as they're out cruising getting that first sun light. We run our gators down honestly. Get on them as fast as possible and don't give them a chance to drift off. The quicker you get on them, the closer to where they go down they'll be at, MOST of the time. Sometimes they'll take off but after several casts, if we haven't hooked up. We will sit and wait. Normally they'll surface within 45 minutes to an hour.

We've tried that too, running up on them quicker, motoring in slow to them, then putting the light on them at the last 10 yards or so, use the binoculars at night, but they will go under at 50 yards+ if you hold the light on them too long while trying to look at them. We were looking hard for them as the sun was coming up on the river this past weekend. Saw some still hugging the grass edge, but nothing out river cruising. The buddy coming into town this weekend, wants something 9', and has his bow rigged for gator hunting. I did lose one hook this weekend to the marsh. Misjudged the distance, thought he was far enough out in the river to get the line over him, but caught deep in the grass instead. Too muddy and shallow to get to shore to get to it. Oh well. That's why I have extras.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post

That first season was an absolute blast. Cordray's would process them for next to nothing if you let them keep the hide. Roll up, kick that nasty thing off the boat and head on to bed. I think they lost their butts on that deal and the next season the price for processing went through the roof. The shine wore off that penny real quick and it became more work than fun. I doubt I'll ever apply again.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I doubt I'll ever apply again.
    I have 5 preference points now. I have zero interest in applying anymore after this season.

I think I'm on my last as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmudder7071 View Post
    Daylight is all we hunt. Bring good binos and watch for them swimming. As others have said, right after sunrise is a good time to watch as they're out cruising getting that first sun light. We run our gators down honestly. Get on them as fast as possible and don't give them a chance to drift off. The quicker you get on them, the closer to where they go down they'll be at, MOST of the time. Sometimes they'll take off but after several casts, if we haven't hooked up. We will sit and wait. Normally they'll surface within 45 minutes to an hour.
    When you say you are running them down, are you doing that with the trolling motor or the big motor?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

We went this weekend going during the day and no amount of stalking seemed to get us within about 100 yards. They would go under and by the time we polled over to where they had gone under, the bubbles where gone and you could not seem to hit one while casting. We came back at night and that seemed to be even worse. There where a lot more eyes but you still couldn't get close and good luck following bubbles in the dark unless its slick. When we go again we are just going to run up on them and start casting and hope to get lucky, that or go find another area with less pressure if it exists. If I had it to do over, I would have taken the boat out as soon as I got my tag and spent my time glassing instead of spotlighting eyes. I agree that all that does is educate them.
    JT
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason.

If you will sit there, usually within an hour, the gator will come up within casting distance from where he went down. If you find one, sit and wait him out, if he comes up outta range, go there and wait. They may only come up for a few seconds and go down again, rod man needs to be ready to go and have decent casting skills.
    Low country redneck who moved north