Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 50 Prop Question

Default Yamaha 50 Prop Question

2004 50hp 2-stroke w/ tiller - I need a SS prop for this motor.
    Boat has front deck, gun box and a welded in box/pod seat on each side the tiller.
    Was curious if any one has a Yama 50 on a 16 or 17 aluminum boat?
    If so, what is the diameter and pitch and how does it do?
    I know all about how to prop a boat to the max engine RPM range w/ tach.
    Not interested in all that, just looking for a good starting place for a general all purpose prop
    I am thinking something like a 12 / 14P 3 bladed
    Thoughts?

Yamaha 16g Black stainless. Add just a little bit of cup to it, snip the gray wire and let it dig.

And a 14p loominum one for running the swamp and when you are loaded for bear.

14p stainless gets my vote

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Yamaha 16g Black stainless. Add just a little bit of cup to it, snip the gray wire and let it dig.
    Excuse my ignorance but is that a 16P and if so, what is the diameter?

Yamaha black stainless, mercury vengeance, powertec reb3/scb, mercury trophy sport, turbo hot shot. One of those will get you started. Really depends how you use it

Honestly 2 props is the way to go. One for a load and one for empty. At least that's what I like.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

David had a 50 Honda on that boat before I got it. It would haul tail, and had great maneuverability don't know if he has that motor floating around anywhere, where you could at least look at the prop on it, but it was a good set up!

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but is that a 16P and if so, what is the diameter?
    16 is pitch, g is the Yamaha 13 spline size class

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    16 is pitch, g is the Yamaha 13 spline size class
    ah ha, very helpful. You still would need to choose a diameter though, correct?
    That is where I am getting hung up. Way too many choices with some only 1/8 or so apart.
    What do you think about starting with a 12 X 14 or 12 X 16, or would you go smaller on the diameter?
    Boat is 16 ft

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    David had a 50 Honda on that boat before I got it. It would haul tail, and had great maneuverability don't know if he has that motor floating around anywhere, where you could at least look at the prop on it, but it was a good set up!
    Thanks Chris,
    That is what he told me last night. I am pretty sure the motor is gone

What Gone South said...diameter is 10.25. it's a semi clever style prop. I have owned at least a dozen or so 3cyl Yamahas from 40 to 90, stock to built, on everything from High Tides, to Duracrafts, to Hancock's and the best all around prop for most every boat was a 16.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 09-14-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    ah ha, very helpful. You still would need to choose a diameter though, correct?
    That is where I am getting hung up. Way too many choices with some only 1/8 or so apart.
    What do you think about starting with a 12 X 14 or 12 X 16, or would you go smaller on the diameter?
    Boat is 16 ft
    In the G Class, 14, 15, and 16 pitchs are all the same style and diameter....12 and below change completely. A 12" diameter prop is more suited for displacement hulls such as pontoons or skiffs.

Powertech's SCB is their attempt to copy the black Yamaha stainless but it has always been a slower prop in my experiences.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/pr...978-00-98.html

This looks like it. They are very fond of them.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    In the G Class, 14, 15, and 16 pitchs are all the same style and diameter....12 and below change completely. A 12" diameter prop is more suited for displacement hulls such as pontoons or skiffs.

Powertech's SCB is their attempt to copy the black Yamaha stainless but it has always been a slower prop in my experiences.
    Thanks man! This is what I needed

The Yamaha 40 and 50 are what they refer to as a 3.5" gear case. The Yamaha brand props that fit that gear case are the "G" line like GS an Fish Sticker said.

You will have far more options on pitch than diameter. Most props for that gear case will probably fall between 10" and 11". It's a guessing game. Be ready to spend some money and experiment until you can compare and contrast them then stick with one that best suits you. It's an expensive and time consuming endeavor if you want it to be.

And the guy that recommended an aluminum prop for the swamp, I gotta disagree. I went against my better judgement and ran an aluminum prop on a swamp ride thru Sparkleberry one afternoon and left with 2 bent blades. And I didn't even hit anything that hard. I ain't got time to bend aluminum blades back in shape every time I get home from the swamp. I can easily straighten a prop shaft and replace seals if needed. But I've only had to do that one time in all my years of running stainless props.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-14-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Oh and good luck finding a used Yamaha g semi clever prop. If you did you better jump on it. So be prepared to shovel out for a new one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-14-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

http://www.scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175121

They're out there, just gotta be quick

Word. I installed that prop a couple weeks ago on the motor it was bought for. Ran much better than the Ballistic that came off of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a 50 yamaha on a 1652 with a cmc breakaway. I currently run a stilleto 12P which has been the best prop of the ones Ive tried up to this point. 5500 rpm 36ish speed. I tried a 15p powertech and the motor would not turn it and had a ton of torque steer. Buddy is sending me a 13P yamaha black stainless to try. So far I keep going back to the 12P stilleto. The Powertechs I tried were REB, I have not tried an SCB.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scmoose; 09-15-2017 at 07:51 AM.