Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being "rough on a shotgun"

Default Being "rough on a shotgun"

Time in and time out I hear people say things about how much they abuse their shotgun. I often sit back and wonder, how hard can you really be on one? I have taken my shotguns from coast to coast and plenty of places in between and all of mine look damn close to brand new. What have you done or normally do to your shotgun that you consider abuse?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I try to match the woodgrains in mine to my boat paddles as to not clash if I'm in need of dueling paddles.

After listening to countless 870 shooters talk about the durability of their shotgun, I've come to the conclusion that the typical 870 shooter has a poorly maintained outboard motor and has some personal policy against keeping a paddle in the boat.

I am one of those that has ONE I abuse the shit out of. Hunt salt ponds every weekend, never wipe down, throw it in the sled, throw in back of truck/ranger, used as a walking stick when I am almost to the top of waders, etc. barrel has been solid rust red before.
    Yeah I have to replace a few springs here and there, but I take it to a gun smith to clean the piss out of it at the end of the year and get the rust off. Looks like new(ish)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I know a natural born drifter who keeps an m1 in the truck box. The exterior of that thing is pure rust color.

Rust is Rust..

The orange clay dust from the Santee River Basin will hang one up mid stroke..

I'm pretty sure the dipshit that stole Robbie's SBEII cleaned it..

Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I know a natural born drifter who keeps an m1 in the truck box. The exterior of that thing is pure rust color.
    You need to stay out of my truck box

I don't go out of my way to abuse my gun, as in I don't purposely see how long it'll go with out a cleaning, or throw into the bottom of a boat or truck bed, but I have the synthetic gun I have because I know it can take the abuse of a duck season. Guns get banged around while loading/unloading the boat, my stock will sometimes stay submerged for several hours due to high water, saltwater does get on stuff at times, the list goes on. I would have an OCD breakdown if I took a nice Remington 1100 or A5 or some other wood stocked gun on a lot of my hunts. Walk in woodduck shoot or rice field shoot? Sure. But others, definitely not.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    You need to stay out of my truck box
    I need to get into the gun safe!

I might use my shotguns to knock some briers or scrub oaks out of the way, or it might get some mud on it or some sand in it here or there, but I have a paddle that stays in both of my boats, i don't need to use it as a boat paddle. If any of my guns get dirty, they get wiped down and cleaned before they get put back in the safe. Its just how i was taught to handle and keep guns.

I swear some people think that "shotgun abuse" is indicative of being a good hunter, or it means that you hunt a lot, or some other kind of white trash redneck out look like that. "Bo, I couldnt find my hammer the other day so i used my ole 870 to drive a few 16 penny nails, knocked the bead off, but she still shoots good"

I think by abuse they mean they use it .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I am one of those that has ONE I abuse the shit out of. Hunt salt ponds every weekend, never wipe down, throw it in the sled, throw in back of truck/ranger, used as a walking stick when I am almost to the top of waders, etc. barrel has been solid rust red before.
    Yeah I have to replace a few springs here and there, but I take it to a gun smith to clean the piss out of it at the end of the year and get the rust off. Looks like new(ish)
    ^this minus salt ponds and gunsmiths and replacing springs.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    I might use my shotguns to knock some briers or scrub oaks out of the way, or it might get some mud on it or some sand in it here or there, but I have a paddle that stays in both of my boats, i don't need to use it as a boat paddle. If any of my guns get dirty, they get wiped down and cleaned before they get put back in the safe. Its just how i was taught to handle and keep guns.

I swear some people think that "shotgun abuse" is indicative of being a good hunter, or it means that you hunt a lot, or some other kind of white trash redneck out look like that. "Bo, I couldnt find my hammer the other day so i used my ole 870 to drive a few 16 penny nails, knocked the bead off, but she still shoots good"
    Run over any lately?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I stopped using a case on my duck gun after it rusted up in the case. I had gotten the case wet and dried it but guess not dry enough. My gun gets lots of abuse it rides in the bottom of the boat, Pirogue, carried on my back through the marah or woods. I wipe it down every day, clean the inside a time or two a year. It has been dropped in salt water, mud, just about everything. It defiantly shows some of the wear and tear. I keep up with it as much as possible and never doubt it won't go boom. Now my over under guns live in a case unless being shot.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

There is a gun for every job. I generally use an 870 when hunting rough conditions because it doesnt bother me if it gets messed up. Guaranteed to be in wet, salty, dirty conditions and it is what it is. I will clean it up after hunts and soak it in PB blaster afterwards and let it air dry in garage. Has worked well for me for years. My dove and quail guns will never see a duck hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say my Xtrema2 was ever abused until this past turkey season when I left her propped up against the truck. She got ran over bent the bolt handle and carrier slide. She's back solid as a rock after a trip to Ronnie Cox.

I try to take care of my guns

I'm never purposefully rough on a gun. I have an M1 that is my main gun. I don't baby it. I wipe it down if it gets wet or muddy. I clean it thoroughly after duck season. My loaner gun is an synthetic 870. I take it to a gunsmith to be looked over after duck season. My wood stock guns only see quail or dove hunts in nice weather.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

My beater is an 870 and it pains me to get water on it. My guns are tools, and I don't like replacing tools because I don't take care of them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-13-2017 at 12:04 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Had a SBE II that I used to push my way through briars and also used it to walk over the top of said briars when they were too thick to go through. Just one of those things
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?