Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grits

Default Grits

How do you cook them?

In a pot(or something similar).

Pour two envelopes of grits into microwave safe bowl. (cause I am hungry and one is not enough) Add a cup of water and microwave on high for 90 seconds. Throw in some "I can't believe its not butter" and stir.

Viola!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Stone Ground Geechie Boy or similar. Substitute 1/2 chicken broth and 1/2 half and half for water. Season with a little salt and pepper. Throw a little garlic and cheese in there and sometimes tomato. Cooking some tonight.

Varies, but never, ever do I cook "quick grits".

Yellow grits take time. My wife wants to try to make them in 30 minutes, she is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    How do you cook them?
    The same as you but one step further and a little more intricately. That way I can say mine are better and I'm doing it right.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Tell my wife I want grits and to get in the kitchen and make me some.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Grits poets. Almost as sweet as cast iron and Turkey poets.

Yellow stone ground grits made to order by recipe on bag. Substitute heavy cream and chicken stock in equal parts for the liquid. Dash of hot sauce, salt, pepper and butter.

heavy whipping cream and half/half.

3 cups Heavy whipping cream, 3 cups whole milk, 1 cup stone ground grits, 1 stick butter, salt and pepper to taste

don't forget the sugah

Quality stone ground grits should be cooked low and slow, and for at least an hour. Water or water/broth, butter and often cream added later and allowed to "cook in". Salt and pepper to taste. Additions can vary, to include (but not limited to...) garlic, cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese.

I sometimes top mine with crumbled crispy bacon and maybe some fine chopped jalapenos, but usually served clean with whatever eggs, sausage and such is attendance. My "go to" combo is cheesy grits with over easy eggs and some variety of wild hog or deer sausage (hot or onion being favorites).
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Yall have it all wrong with the cream and crap...that's something Martha Stewart would do.

I'm with Swamp...Good grits take time. You can season them how you want. I'm good with S & P and butter. Add garlic or cheese if you wish.

But to cook grits (stone ground)...

Bring water to a boil, add 1/4 tsp of baking soda (not powder)...soda. Stir in grits. Move to a double boiler. Let simmer/cook in double boiler stirring occasionally until done (30 minutes to an hour depending on how much). To cook grits that long the double boiler is a must or you will have a stuck pile girt cakes if you don't. The baking soda is the trick. You can make the grits soft and fluffy with that without having to use cream or half and half. Add salt and pepper to taste and whatever else that floats your boat, butter and cheese. Serve piping hot.

Your welcome.
    Last edited by reeltight; 09-13-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Its deer season for gods sake. Why are there two "grits" threads?

Call Tater and tell him to have me some grits ready when i get home. What goes on between that phone call and the dinner bell is beyond me... Probably should figure that out tho.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Yall have it all wrong with the cream and crap...that's something Martha Stewart would do.

I'm with Swamp...Good grits take time. You can season them how you want. I'm good with S & P and butter. Add garlic or cheese if you wish.

But to cook grits (stone ground)...

Bring water to a boil, add 1/4 tsp of baking soda (not powder)...soda. Stir in grits. Move to a double boiler. Let simmer/cook in double boiler stirring occasionally until done (30 minutes to an hour depending on how much). To cook grits that long the double boiler is a must or you will have a stuck pile girt cakes if you don't. The baking soda is the trick. You can make the grits soft and fluffy with that without having to use cream or half and half. Add salt and pepper to taste and whatever else that floats your boat, butter and cheese. Serve piping hot.

Your welcome.
    Baking soda = Pawleys Island beach grits pre-sewer
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Baking soda = Pawleys Island beach grits pre-sewer
    I don't frequent Pawleys so I'm not familiar whit what you are referring to and if it's good or bad.

I bet yall drink pumpkin beer ! Quick grits do suck though! I like to put a bunch of stuff yall cant pronounce in mine ! I also use a gormet technique that yall wouldnt know about .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town