Thread: Restring

Default Restring

I know..........tons of variables. May be a waste of time.

I have had my bow for a few years now and would say I shoot it less than 100x per year. How often should a bow be restrung, assuming good care and no abuse? I do wax it about once a year.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I can't tell you when it's needed, but I had mine replaced earlier this year to replace the original one that came on the bow in about 2005/2006, or so. I was not the original owner, but have had the bow a few years and, like you, probably didn't shoot more than 150-200 arrows a year with it.

When I pulled it out awhile back to get ready for this season, I was floored by the speed improvement. Before, I was having to use 5 pins to go from 10-35 yds in 5 yd increments. I now can do that with 2 1/2 pins. I need to mess with it a little more to decide on 2 or 3 pins. However, due to my lack of practice time, etc, I limit myself to 25 yds maximum, despite practicing a few shots out to 35-40.

This is not a fast bow by any means, but that new string was worth it, along with the safety factor.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-13-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Keep the stock one until you notice a need to replace. If there's no fraying or significant stretching I say leave well enough alone. I replaced mine two years ago even though it didn't need it. I have been having twist problems ever since. It's been so frustrating that I may start cheating and switch to a crossbow.

I have been shooting bows for 20 years and shoot maybe 500 to 1,000 shots per year. I have never replaced a string that didn't break. By the time your string breaks, your bow will be around 10 years old.....just throw the damn thing in the trash and buy a new one.

it's $100 for a new custom string. if you are second guessing it then replace it. and I'd start waxing a little more moving forward.

Easy way to check is too measure axle to axle. Next check max poundage. As long as both of those are good and the string shows no wear. You should be good.

60X strings are Legit!
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Oh, I agree, I just figured you would want something to match your hideous (your word, not mine) fletching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What cotton said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Oh, I agree, I just figured you would want something to match your hideous (your word, not mine) fletching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Jew crazy. Them fletchings are right on time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I see restring and I click on it thinking it is about a TENNIS RACKET.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"