Thread: AK47 magazine issues

Default AK47 magazine issues

Anyone have an AK and/or familiar with them? I purchased one years ago at a gun show and it came with two metal mags w no markings that work great. I have been unable to find another mag that will fit the rifle. I took the rifle to PSA to hopefully try out different mags and the two they had didnt work. One was metal the other was a gen3 magpul which I purchased anyways. Took it home and filed the metal tab down on the magazine until it would fit/lock-in to rifle and it has a good fit. Thought I had it figured out but the mag WILL NOT feed. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to purchase 8-10 more mags and dont know what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines the opposite. I've got a psak47 that only takes the Magpul mags. Won't take surplus or metal mags. I don't know why. I've had multiple issues with the gun though so it might just be a psa thing

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Seriously.

Take a hammer and a big punch.

Turn it upside down and whack the mag well side with out the mag release.

Sometimes the Romy "G" flats stick out right there if it was a home build.

Yes, this probably seems strange but remember this is a ak.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Silent I am not following what you are saying. Not sure I want to mod the rifle to fit mags when the two I have fit great. Modding the mags is one thing but if I start screwing w parts that are riveted together I could end up with junk.

Shouldn't have to bang it with a hammer being made in the USA. I've never read of psa having this issue either.

Mine is not a PSA rifle.

Yeah I get that. But it's also an ak. That has magazine issues.

Its actually a common problem wit flats built guns.

You aren't doing anything that can't be un done.

ITS FREAKING SHEET METAL!

This isn't a original Kalishinikov or a Norinco even a Madi for that matter. I guaranty it is a Romy "G" kit someone put together.

By pushing that edge in you change the angle. The hole would have been correct from the start, but during the actual bend it caused it to protrude down making it flush, and it is suppose to be slightly recessed. Some even have a dimple where I'm describing, like the NoDaC Spud flats. However if it was a just a Tapco Flat it would be subject to what I described. This is why a magpul will not work. My guess is if you can find some old Romanian mags not Bulgarian not Korean, not Polish but actual Romanian they will work, and that is why the 2 you have currently work.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Default AK47 magazine issues

Magpul mag seats very nicely after I shaved the mag down a little, but will not feed rounds. I do not see how I could get it to operate. The bolt still cycles when racked and the fit seems perfect. The bolt just doesnt want to grab the round from the mag. This morning I have actually gotten it to pick up a round or two but it is not smooth. I will try firing it later and see if it cycles correctly.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 09-10-2017 at 08:12 AM.

My bad it isn't a Romy "G"
    It is a old Yugo!

Century imported it. Can you take the bolt carrier out and snap some pics of it the bolt out side of the carrier.
    Based off your description I think you still have a single stack bolt.

This would cause the issues your getting from the shaved down magpul. IE not catching every round.

The original PAP rifles brought in had to have the mag wells relieved in order to accommodate double stack mags. (They were originally 10 round single stacks) I can't tell for sure if it was modified or if it is a later flat. Based off the look I'm going with it was modded.

Based off what I see I still think you will need to get the front of the mag well to recede a tad.

I have several M-PAP and N-PAP's I'll see if I can't look at the mag well to be sure I'm correct. I know the Norincos' Madi's and NoDac Spuds are done that way. I would think the serbian variant would be the same.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

It has been awhile since I read into AKs and variants, but I did some research years ago prepurchase and recall reading about single vs double. It would not surprise me if it was single stack but I dont know how to tell

Sure looks like a single stack to me.
    Bolts are fairly cheap.
    But that still leaves you with the mag well issue. I bet I'm right on that too! Haven't had a chance to get a pic of the n & m pap's but based off your pic and description either that metal has to up or be removed. I don't like removing metal so.......
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

I agree it looks like a single stack and think that by switching to a double stack bolt it would give more depth and possibly pick up the rounds better. I am going to try some romanian mags and see if that works but if not will consider switching to a dbl stack bolt. Thx for the help.

If you get hot to trot bring it to Florence
    I have plenty of spare bolts parts and am not scared to beat on a AK.

If I tear it up I'll give you a milled receiver. I'm that confident.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    If you get hot to trot bring it to Florence
    I have plenty of spare bolts parts and am not scared to beat on a AK.

If I tear it up I'll give you a milled receiver. I'm that confident.
    This guy doesn't know what an AK looks like. His mom won't allow them in her basement
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Silent, I come to Florence fairly regularly.... drive most of the state for work. I might want you to mess it up if you are offering a milled receiver . You know a vet up there, R.H.? I have shot with him some, he has a pretty cool range.