Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversion to tiller question

Default Conversion to tiller question

This is probably a WillyWorm question but the more that chime in, the better.
    I am a pretty darn good 2 stroke mechanic but have never needed to or been around converting one to a tiller.
    I need a nice 40 to 50 hp tiller motor for the new project.
    I think I have a chance to buy a super clean and great running fresh water 2006 Yamaha 50. It has electric start, tilt and trim and is oil injected. The price of this motor leaves me enough cash in my budget to buy whatever I need for the conversion. Here are the questions I need answered, after searching past threads on here, I am more confused.
    1) How difficult would it be to add a tiller handle if I do it myself
    2) I don't understand the difference of "new style" vs. "old style" tiller handles
    3) Would this motor's existing tilt and trim wire right into the tiller kit I buy or would it need "jerry rigging" to make it work
    4) Would the motor's current electric start be easy to wire into the tiller or plug and play with "kit"
    5) Are these "conversion kits" plug and play
    6) What kind of cost for what I would need am I looking at?

finally, what would you guys that have done these go with? I want it nice

Thanks
    Rick
    Last edited by ecu1984; 09-11-2017 at 11:18 PM.

New style, big tiller....i think that is all you can buy now.
    Also, the fit kit makes the tiller plug and play woth your motor....everyting will work.
    And, it is super easy to do. Have fun with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Pro Tip: Fit kit electrical is pre wired for a tach. Do not stuff them behind the gray throttle bracket, keep them accessible just in case you want to add a tach later. Not a big deal to remove the bracket, but I tend break shit and there small plastic pieces that hold cables in place they look fragile. Also, mine did not come with cotter pins for throttle and gear selector cables. These are very small pins and most likely will need to grind down any you have any on hand or order them with the kit to be safe.

Also, does anyone know if the angle of the tiller can be adjusted down further than the stop. Looks like a Ape Hanger after getting the motor height about right.
    Last edited by Civil-Cock; 09-12-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks guys
    Willyworm, check your PMs

Easy peasy. Willy can get you the correct part numbers fo sho.

Very simple, strick9 and myself just put the big tiller kit on my 98 yammy 90 2 stroke, just make sure what pin pattern yours has, mine had 10 pin, it's all plug and play. Bought the whole kit from Tailwalker for around $700...

I put a new style tiller on a 90 Yamaha about a year and a half ago. The tiller and fit kit new cost me $650. The only painful part was getting the stuck studs out of the steering arm on the motor. Once we got those out, we threaded the new studs in that came with the fit kit, and bolted it up and plugged in the wiring harness. And hooked up the throttle and shift cables. Not too big a deal.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Just did mine . I found one of the big tiller GEN 1 for $200 . Flipped the gears and good to go . Holler if I can help . Should be mostly plug and play with that year ! They have become high as camel vag though . Turbo has done a few .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

HANDLE, STEERING MAI
    6X4-42103-57-00 $404.74
    40/50 TILLER FITTING
    6X4-42102-63-00 at $128.00

I ordered the handle, and kit from Surdyke Yamaha. Handle comes with complete wiring harness so you only need the additional fitting kit.
    Last edited by Civil-Cock; 09-12-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyeller View Post
    Just did mine . I found one of the big tiller GEN 1 for $200 . Flipped the gears and good to go . Holler if I can help . Should be mostly plug and play with that year ! They have become high as camel vag though . Turbo has done a few .
    When you gonna bring that bad machine out and join us? We're going today, if ya'll want to join.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

y'all are getting me excited

Quote Originally Posted by Civil-Cock View Post
    HANDLE, STEERING MAI
    6X4-42103-57-00 $404.74
    40/50 TILLER FITTING
    6X4-42102-63-00 at $128.00

I ordered the handle, and kit from Surdyke Yamaha. Handle comes with complete wiring harness so you only need the additional fitting kit.
    Thank Man! I talked to Willyworm tonight and have ordered both these parts. It's like Christmas up in here!

Word to the wise, the bolts on the bottom of new style big tiller handle are galvanized and should be replaced with stainless if you are using in salt. I'm dealing with the ape hanger as well, I don't think the angle can be changed... gotta trim her up

Quote Originally Posted by uncle woody View Post
    Word to the wise, the bolts on the bottom of new style big tiller handle are galvanized and should be replaced with stainless if you are using in salt. I'm dealing with the ape hanger as well, I don't think the angle can be changed... gotta trim her up

You talking about the little bolts that hold the plastic bottom cover on the tiller handle itself?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

movl0227.jpg
    This is the conversion you need to be working on.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    You talking about the little bolts that hold the plastic bottom cover on the tiller handle itself?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yes. Any metal on a boat that's not stainless, aluminum, or brass is stupid. Rust sucks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle woody View Post

Yamaha uses that coating on nearly all of their bolts. Some kind of zinc or something.

If you want to angle the tiller down some you have to grind down the material at the bracket's hinge point. Take a look and you'll see what I mean

Fit kit arrived today from Boats.net and Tiller main handle will be delivered tomorrow according to tracking number.
    No instructions in the fit kit box, will there be any instructions in the Tiller handle box? Looks pretty straight forward

It's self explanatory

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    will there be any instructions in the Tiller handle box? Looks pretty straight forward

yes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai