Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Chain Saw?

If for any reason you decide to go with the Echo 590, etc, do some research on doing a muffler mod on it. Supposedly it makes a difference.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

So it doesn't sound like a queef.

I'll end it here, my family has been in the logging business for 100 years and I've been around saws since I could walk. The only thing I run in the woods is husqvarna, the big boys , 372 and 395's. That being said that's more than what you need. The husvarnas you can buy at the big boxes are not made the same, I don't care what anyone tells you. I have one saw that's not a husqvarna and it's the one I keep at the house, it's a Stihl 391. It's all you need and more. Get one and thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    That's because more people own a Stihl and people who do tended to actually use them to do heavy work.

There's nothing wrong with an Echo for the home, you got to have something your wives can teach you to use.
    Chit, mines been through hell and back with all the large stuff I've been clearing the last 6 months, and hasn't missed a beat. Also about sawed my leg off, but I was back cutting that same day.

"Still gunna send it"

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I've got 2 echos and never had a problem with either. I have let several people borrow my 590 and they all said it was the best saw they have ever handled. Especially the ones whose sthil wouldn't crank.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    If for any reason you decide to go with the Echo 590, etc, do some research on doing a muffler mod on it. Supposedly it makes a difference.
    Depends on who you ask and how the saw is originally tuned.
    i haven't felt like it is necessary to do but it is a simple process
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    Chit, mines been through hell and back with all the large stuff I've been clearing the last 6 months, and hasn't missed a beat. Also about sawed my leg off, but I was back cutting that same day.

"Still gunna send it"

A Stihl 391 would make that pine log look smaller. Hell it'd probably just go ahead and fall into the lengths you want it in without cranking it up.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I wouldn't buy anything with less than a 20" bar. My 455 rancher has been a great saw. I've used a husqvana 372 and a stihl 461 and they are awesome but are professional saws and not what I needed or wanted to spend. For what I do on my farm the 455 does what I need. When I go to buy a bigger saw it will be either the husqvarna 465 rancher or the 391 stihl. I don't use my saw every day or every week, nor do I use it to make a living, so I didn't buy one built for that purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

"Still gunna send it"

That Echo was either wiped clean, or didn't cut that tree down, IMO...

And if you felled that tree, would you please explain the reasoning behind that style of cut? I'd like to learn something new here, unless it is out of the Widow-Maker handbook like it looks to be.

Get yourself a pair of safety chaps. The Stihl black ones are priced at about $45 right now. Stay safe so you can enjoy that new house.
    ~ George Washington

Another vote for the Echo CS-590. I did a lot of reading, video watching, ect. whenever I was looking for a saw. Like others have said, you get a lot of saw for the money with the 590. I have yet to have any issues with it nor have I tried to cut anything that it wouldn't handle. Echo also has the best warranty.

The only piece of equipment I haven't replaced with Echo is my Stihl hedge trimmer and if I used it more often I'm sure I would replace it with an Echo also. One of the things I love about Echo vs Stihl is start up. All my Echo stuff starts up with the first or second pull, every time.

If you notice steelin everyone suggesting the echo has "read" about how great it was and bought it. Spend the money, get the 391 and delete this thread. Next these assholes will be telling you to sell your diesel and buy a Honda because "it runs great for them"

Another vote for Echo. I have been running mine 2 days a week in the duck swamp and have put it through absolute hell. 4 years later it still fires up on the 2nd pull. I have an 18 inch and it's light enough to carry around all day. I have dropped in the water while running a few times too.

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfever View Post
    If you notice steelin everyone suggesting the echo has "read" about how great it was and bought it. Spend the money, get the 391 and delete this thread. Next these assholes will be telling you to sell your diesel and buy a Honda because "it runs great for them"
    This is stupid.

Steelin obviously posted this so he could "read" about the different saws we suggest.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

It's called profiling.

And if you felled that tree, would you please explain the reasoning behind that style of cut? I'd like to learn something new here, unless it is out of the Widow-Maker handbook like it looks to be.

Get yourself a pair of safety chaps. The Stihl black ones are priced at about $45 right now. Stay safe so you can enjoy that new house.
    Was wondering the same thing. Looking at that cut gave me the eye twitch and the shakes.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Fella doing the bulldozing said he wasn't going to push it over since it was bigger than he would like to push in that condition. It was also dead on one half making an indention(you can see it looks like two trees, with a V in the downed section) on the direction we wanted it to fall with it also being hard as a rock since all the sap was was at the stump. I assure you that saw cut that tree.

Ya'll queers will hark at anything.
    Last edited by dhall1693; 09-12-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfever View Post
    This. Buy a Stihl and be done with it. Also I think you were asking about width of chains. Stihl does make quite a few different chains and width of the links will be a factor... Your dealer will know which ones it needs and all that good stuff.

There is a reason tree guys run Husqvarna and Stihl. Husq 372 is one of he best saws ever made. Probably a little bit for what you're after. Go by Monroe's, tell him what you want and what you aim to do with said saw. If he doesn't have something he thinks is worth a shit and will be good for you he will send you to Hilton's over on two notch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Fella doing the bulldozing said he wasn't going to push it over since it was bigger than he would like to push in that condition. It was also dead on one half making an indention(you can see it looks like two trees, with a V in the downed section) on the direction we wanted it to fall with it also being hard as a rock since all the sap was was at the stump. I assure you that saw cut that tree.

Ya'll queers will hark at anything.
    Well, with a few exceptions, I rather doubt any of us are queers.

I wasn't trying to pick on you, dhall, and did note the shape of the trunk (just cut a similarly shaped oak last week). My point is that, that looks like a cut that could easily cause a tree to go anywhere other than the direction planned and would hate to see you get yourself hurt or killed over an error like. By your own admission you almost cut your leg off, so be careful man!
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-12-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    It's called profiling.
    we also have the pet shop boys and seal
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.