Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chain Saw?

The Stihl WWW has too many models. Whats the difference in the "Farmboss" models compared the others?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I will never talk shit about a Farm Boss. Great all around saw. I have several in my inventory.

However, in a Hurricane situation, it is not what you are looking for...
    Too heavy for long stretches of use?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I have an old Stihl that was my grandfathers. Old but still runs like a champ!

Yeah that is where you get into trusting a mofo. Good Luck, and I really mean it, bubba...

Stihl MS310 is what I've had for ten years. My only complaint is the weight when I have to cut through small stuff. 20" bar eats big wood like butter.

G

I did some research and looks like the echo cs 590 timberwolf is what I'll get when my local supplier gets them back in stock. Alot of saw for the money.
    Life's a garden, Dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUducks648 View Post
    I did some research and looks like the echo cs 590 timberwolf is what I'll get when my local supplier gets them back in stock. Alot of saw for the money.
    What made you come to that decision? Just the price alone?

I picked up a Stihl 251 Wood Boss 18" the other day as a lighter weight alternative for limbing and carrying around to thin out smaller trees. It handled a couple of larger trees better than expected, but is probably much lighter duty than what you're looking for.

The guy did tell me, in response to my question about oil pumps going bad (a problem a friend has been chasing) that the MS291 and one or two other models are known for oil pump issues, fwiw.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I'm not looking to limb up. I want to chew through downed trees. Dollar is not the issue. I just don't know enough about them to walk in and grab one. I tend to research things to deAth before purchase. I didn't think about weight but that's a good point to consider. Are chains pretty standard per length or does width come into play?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I'm not looking to limb up. I want to chew through downed trees. Dollar is not the issue. I just don't know enough about them to walk in and grab one. I tend to research things to deAth before purchase. I didn't think about weight but that's a good point to consider. Are chains pretty standard per length or does width come into play?
    If you want to chew up trees, replace the factory safety chain with one that will really eat (if you have the experience).
    Carolina Counsel

Go to a stihl dealer and buy the biggest mofo they make. Leave that echo shit in home Depot.

Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Still or Echo

My 20" Husky 455 Rancher is probably 12 years old and still running like a champ. It's got hundreds of hours on it, yet sits for months on end at times. Still cranks 2nd pull...

I've never run a Stihl, but I'm considering a little limbing saw in the near future and may look into them and see how they stack up against a Husky.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by santeeswamper View Post
    Go to a stihl dealer and buy the biggest mofo they make. Leave that echo shit in home Depot.
    That's why I said the 391 for eating trees. I have a 251c for light duty stuff. It'll handle a decent sized stuff but it's not great for that. The 391, you better hang on because it'll make mince meat out of a 20" seasoned oak log.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    What made you come to that decision? Just the price alone?
    Went through the same thing you're going through. Echo has 5 year warranty and will out perform all farm bosses. When you look at the cs-590 for $350 you would have to buy a $600 stihl to get the same comparable performing saw, but you still will get 4 less years warranty.
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    That's why I said the 391 for eating trees. I have a 251c for light duty stuff. It'll handle a decent sized stuff but it's not great for that. The 391, you better hang on because it'll make mince meat out of a 20" seasoned oak log.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    Went through the same thing you're going through. Echo has 5 year warranty and will out perform all farm bosses. When you look at the cs-590 for $350 you would have to buy a $600 stihl to get the same comparable performing saw, but you still will get 4 less years warranty.
    Yea but in 5 years when u need parts to fix it or service the local mower shop can't get parts. Stihl will always be fixable

The reason I'm saying this is I just went thru this same deal with a weedeater. Tried everyone untill I spent 650 on a stihl and never looked back

I don't think I could ride around with an Echo in the back of my truck.