Thread: Water in fuel

Default Water in fuel

Had water in fuel problems before, drained the lines, new separator and things were good. Was running recently and the motor died off and only would start sputter and turn off so I think I am back to the same battle but haven't drained the separator to confirm.

Where could I be taking this much water into the fuel from? Busted vent cap on the side? No fuel leaks in the bilge makes me think the tank/lines are in decent shape. Never added more than 10 gallons at a time from different stations.

The water could have come from the station itself...

Non-ethanol fuel? If ethanol, it breeds water and over time this could accumulate to large amounts. If non-ethanol, you may be getting from a station that doesn't do enough volume and you are getting the condensation from the tanks.

Also, when it happened previously, did you flush the motor completely? It may still of had water running through it's parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Always non ethanol fuel, most stations are around the lake so I would think they move decent volume but maybe not.

I flushed the lines but not the tank, probably had about 7-9 hours trouble free run time before it came back.

Drain tank, add seafoam and fresh e-free fuel, new water separator, new plugs and you should be good to go. It's hard to tell how else you could be getting water into your tank with out seeing how it is set up.

Water was / is still in the tank. Your filter finally got full up again
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Any rust on the plugs after they were sitting? There isn't much to the fuel system but tank, fuel line, primer bulb, water separator, fuel pump and factory filter if you have one in-line or mounted on the side of the block. You didn't say what make and model motor? can you take a drain plug from the bowl of one carb and catch what runs out and look at it?