Thread: Anyone shoot a 6MM Remington?

Default Anyone shoot a 6MM Remington?

I have had a 6MM Remington for years but never deer hunted with it. I have loaded up some 100gr Nosler Partitions to test.

Any feedback from your actual experience?

A family friend has been loaning his out to women and children for years. It's a youth model rifle. It works well.

Kick myself in the ass to this day for passing on deal to buy a Remington 788 in that caliber years ago.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Yes, it works very well. Its just a 243 with a little extra powder behind it. Same pro's and con's apply to both.

I have one. Had very good results with Hornady Superformance 100gr.

I have a Model 7 in 6mm. It's killed a lot of deer, including my two biggest. Biggest was 225 lbs. and I shot him running.

My longest shot to kill a deer with it was a laser confirmed 300 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I have a Model 7 in 6mm. It's killed a lot of deer, including my two biggest. Biggest was 225 lbs. and I shot him running.

My longest shot to kill a deer with it was a laser confirmed 300 yards.
    What load were you using?

I load my own and would have to dig to find my notes. I shot 100 grain SSTs most recently but I've tried about everything available in 100 grain. Nosler Partitions did not impress me. Too much penetration and not enough expansion for lung shots, and they're more expensive than they deserve to be.

It is a small cartridge and requires the discipline to pass up less than ideal shots. I don't think I'd push the envelope out much past 300 yards either. It's carrying less than 1000ft/lbs at 400 yards. If I bought another gun in a similar chambering, I'd probably go with .243 Win because of factory ammo availability.

I'm more fond of the rifle than the cartridge. I love the nimble feel of a Model 7, especially for hunting from a tree. My brother has the same rifle/scope combination in 7mm-08 and it's a bit more forgiving on less than ideal shots.

I shoot a 6mm Remington Model 7. I shoot a 90 grain bullet from Georgia Arms.

I went back to it after shooting 270 and 30-06 for years.

The most deadly rifle is one you are accurate with.
    Hunting outside the box

Got a friend that hunts with one in a Savage 12. He's an eyeball shooting machine though. He gets tired of that he shoots sookies in the head with a .204.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

My dad had one that got stolen. I have have killed a ton of deer with it, and I dont know how many he killed but it was a deadly mofo.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton