Thread: Tired of HE washing machines that don't last? Get a Speed Queen.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Default Tired of HE washing machines that don't last? Get a Speed Queen.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's as well as living a bachelors life in the 80's, there were a few things that never really appeared on the ole "reliability screen". One of those was a washing machine. They just worked. Washing cycles were short. They cleaned clothes well and if they needed a repair, it was usually just a belt. Fast forward to the last 15 or 20 years. They have gotten cheaper and cheaper and have become basically a disposable item, lasting 3-5 years (depending on use). Their designs are flimsy and are often built overseas. They have all sorts of fancy bells and whistles, which are selling points for wives, but they just don't last. I have gone through 4 washing machines in about 15 years (2 Whirlpools a Kenmore and a Maytag).

Sure enough about 3 weeks ago, my top load Whirlpool died. It was 4 years old. Frustrated, I started doing some research, talking to repair shops as well as checking the internet. I stumbled on a name that I recognized from commercial laundromats. It is Speed Queen. They are USA made, in Wisconsin and are built to commercial standards. They are advertised to have an expected life of about 25 years. We will see about that, but I can tell you that these things are built like a tank. Everything about them is solid and heavy duty. Back are the 30 min, or so, wash cycles instead of the hour long ones.

Apparently Govt regulations are mandating less water usage (which I despise since I have a well) and are requiring an HE cycle. Speed Queen has this as optional cycle, that you just basically don't have to use unless you want. The place that I bought it from told me that Speed Queen is supposed to be discontinuing the ones with the old style knobs in the fall, and are having to go to the electronically controlled ones. Their electronic controls have been out for a while and are designed to be robust and long lasting, but I opted for the old style.

If you are looking for a washing machine that will likely last for a long time, you might want to give Speed Queen a look. They are fairly expensive, but if they don't crap out when you need it, it is money well spent. Buy quality-cry once. Oddly enough Consumer Reports did not give them high marks, but it was not for reliability. It was because they are not as "green" as the high tech ones are. I don't know about you, but in a washing machine, I could care less about "green", I want something that will wash AND rinse clothes well, in a short time, and will last for many years.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 09-04-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.