Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Seventy Two

Maybe that's everyone that gave him a pass in his lifetime
    Biggun

Goodun!

Helluva buck, damn fine work!
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Impressive animal! Was that like a team effort deer?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Sure was. Probably half the people in that picture passed that deer last year alone when he was 140 ish. The group aspect is my favorite part of down there. All those people help make up about 4 different hunting clubs. Every deer down there is a team effort. Makes it fun
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

That's damn cool.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Surprised that big of deer was still holding velvet all the bucks down there still toting velvet?

GP can expand on the story, but I heard that the hunter made a hell of a shot and another Giant being just out of bow range cost the 172 his life...tell it Willy.. it's worth writing.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Wow.

Andy summed it up nicely, but here is the more detailed version.

For the past three years this buck has been running with a wide 9 point during the summer. It's always those two bucks together. All summer long both have been completely nocturnal. Saturday morning everyone hunted but no one went to their best spots knowing that the afternoon should be the time to make something happen. A lunch time trail cam check showed the 172 and his running mate out in daylight Friday afternoon. First daylight pics of the year. Jack (shooter) and his brother Brooks went to a blind they had in the area around 4:00. The afternoon started off ridiculously slow for everyone with no deer seen up until late. Brooks heard something in the pines with them around 7:45 to see the big 172" buck standing 15 yards away staring at the blind. The buck ended up walking off into the clear cut with no shot. 8:00 roles around and the big bucks buddy steps out at 60 yards. This guy is no slouch either. He ended up staying out of range and not presenting a shot. Minutes later the big guy pops back out at 40 yards. Jack took the shot with the buck standing broadside at 38 steps. The deer moved just a hair and the shot was forward into the front shoulder. Brooks and Jack found blood and the arrow. They thought they heard the deer crash but with limited blood and the buck having 10" off arrow and broadhead still in him, they backed out. With the size of the deer, we began calling for a dog. After an hour of talking to several different dog owners the constant response was "that deer is alive, I can come in the morning". Finally it got to the point where we decided to just go give it a shot to see what we could find. We had 13 of us and we knew the direction the deer went. We had decided we would walk the clear cut, and if we made it to the creek (500 yards from the shot) we would back out and get the dog in the morning. It didn't take a few minutes, and 75 yards before my buddy Pat yelled out "here he is!". After that it looked like a techno concert with all the flashlights going every direction with everyone running to the buck in the clear cut. It was a great moment of relief that really etched in stone what the co-op is all about. We got the deer back to the cooler and celebrated with several beers while putting a tape on him. As a main frame 10 he scored 158" with 9" brows and 23" main beams. 6 abnormal points totaling 14" got him to 172 4/8". The biggest bow kill in co-op history. It was a great way to start the season.

Great deer. Be interested to see the numbers once the velvet comes off.

He's going to keep the velvet on

Will, splain to these fellas the mind set of the Co-op regarding the P&Y and B&C club...

They won't believe me if I type it.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

All mine have dropped velvet. Hell of a buck
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Surprised that big of deer was still holding velvet all the bucks down there still toting velvet?
    90% of the bucks down there still had velvet as of Saturday. I would imagine that number will be 50% come this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Great deer. Be interested to see the numbers once the velvet comes off.
    I would never strip the velvet off of a big buck just to get an official score. I don't need my name in any book anyway.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Heck of a buck! Congrats to everyone involved with the management and harvest!

Here is a good picture that really shows all his points
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible Buck for sure. Great photo!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That is a great deer.
    Plant it they will come.

Great deer and management. What is their plan..

8 point 4.5 and 10+ 5.5?

Or everything 5.5?
    Last edited by TJ_11; 09-11-2017 at 11:16 AM.