Thread: Aviation Radio offshore??

Default Aviation Radio offshore??

I know after reading that title, you are probably thinking....how much has he had to drink and the answer is 3 bourbons.

Anyway, I was reading a post on THT and it was talking about activating an epirb 1000 miles offshore. One of the responses was about carrying a handheld aviation radio b/c most commercial traffic monitors 121.5, so if you are bobbing around in a raft and can't get anyone on your handheld and you are waiting on the navy/random vessel passing by, you can hail air traffic. I realize it won't be a long conversation b/c they cover 10mi a min but you might be able to get your coordinates to them.

Aviation radios aren't that expensive and since I've got about 25 hrs in flight training, I'm pretty familiar with them. Thought????

Also......Go WAR EAGLES!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sftull; 09-08-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

That actually sounds like a great idea. I have the radio so all I need are some offshore friends.

Great idea, we listen up on 121.5 all time flying to and from the islands!

1000 miles offshore? Sure you only had 3 bourbons?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

The amount of shipping traffic going in and out of Savannah, Georgetown, Charleston, and Jax makes this idea a little unneeded. Your VHF is line of sight. You can typically hail the coast guard from the stream. If you are in a smaller boat with rough seas, a nearby commercial vessel would pick up the chatter and relay to CG. Not to mention all the other pleasure vessels in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    1000 miles offshore? Sure you only had 3 bourbons?
    It wasn't my post, I was just reading it but yes, someone was asking who would pick him up if he was 1k miles offshore and activated the epirb
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

WI thought EPIRBS were also picked up by SAT and military and commercial aircraft?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

all commercial aircraft are required to monitor the epirb freq. channel. At least I have read and always been told that

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    It wasn't my post, I was just reading it but yes, someone was asking who would pick him up if he was 1k miles offshore and activated the epirb
    Yes
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"