Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whole House Generator with Automatic Transfer Switch?

Cummings and Onan, are they associated?
    I believe that they have joined forces based on an image I saw during the Houston flood coverage, but it may have been a one off...

One of our residents has a 10,000+sqft house and their Onan has a Ford engine in it. I have no idea the specs but it looks like it would push a car along at a good rate...

I seem to remember Onan normally runs a Cummins in their larger gen sets. I use to sell cat gen sets and maintenance agreements for Blanchard. Back then Onan was as good as a cat. The only thing I noticed was cummins diesels where loud and nasty, but the ran like hell and lasted forever. Some of the smaller cat diesels had Perkins engines and they Make a good engine. If I were buying one I would go with a diesel less problems and last longer.

Onan uses Cummings Diesel engines in the industrial sector. I have destructively tested several small propane/natural gas sets at work. Most of them will overheat before they pull nameplate ratings.

I work around generators daily, CAT to be specific. Laurie Brown in Florence at Industrial Electric does a few installs on our smaller gas packages. Primarily where the owners want reputable service with the sale.

Whole house generator needs a whole house automatic transfer switch(ATS). Get it service entrance rated and save a lot of headache. No rewiring panels involved like this 10 or 12 circuit bullshit. Off the cuff a CAT Nema3R service entrance ATS is $1475.

Diesel doesn't go bad in a tank when treated properly and the generator is set to exercise. Generator should run loaded every week at a time you will be around to know if issues arise.

Cat man. I like it. Quality products since I was a kid...

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    The only thing I noticed was cummins diesels where loud and nasty, but the ran like hell and lasted forever.
    Yeah one of our partners lent MY Cummins to a guy and he blew it up. Best engine/pump I ever owned.

Dipshits abound...

I install Generac in Charleston. 22kw runs around 85-9500 installed. Biggest cost differences are how your current service is connected & how far generator is from meter. Do you have a 200 or 400 amp service? How big is the house? What type of heat? How many units? Depending on how the house is set up it could be a fairly easy process for some one who's comfortable with electricity. You can add load shed modules that give larger loads priority so if you're pulling too much they can shut down.

jwilliams is online now 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

FYI Briggs and Stratton has a 10 year warranty parts and labor. Briggs is a name that can be trusted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Fuck a cat.

Might want to PM Smillee for real. He knows. Trust Me
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

It’s that time of year again. I need to revisit this topic.

Just re-read this thread and you'll be fine.

Yep. it's all there for you.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"