Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole House Generator with Automatic Transfer Switch?

Default Whole House Generator with Automatic Transfer Switch?

I have a propane tank getting installed in the next couple weeks.

Instead of continuing doing to do things manually with gas generators and want to have a propane machine installed with auto transfer gear.

Do we have any sponsors here that handle that? How about some suggestions other that Lowes/ Home Depot.

Located in the Midlands.

Don't know about sponsors, but Kohler makes a whole home generator. I know Ferguson and Gateway Supply can get them. Also look into Generac.

Onan out performs Generac and it isn't even close.

*Based on 20 years of seeing both in heavy use in mountain ice storms in our development...

I'd look into one with dual fuel. I heard that some of the people that were running the propane generators went through a ton of propane during Matthew.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Onan out performs Generac and it isn't even close.

*Based on 20 years of seeing both in heavy use in mountain ice storms in our development...
    Never heard of Onan. Learn something everyday I reckon.

Im in the upstate but we put in 20-22 kw generacs all the time to back up 200 amp services. Relatively simple. Go to electricgeneratorsdirect.com to see pricing on 20kw generac units. We put them in for around 8-10k, depending on difficulty of scope...
    \"Go to Know\"

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    Im in the upstate but we put in 20-22 kw generacs all the time to back up 200 amp services. Relatively simple. Go to electricgeneratorsdirect.com to see pricing on 20kw generac units. We put them in for around 8-10k, depending on difficulty of scope...
    Dad has a 22 generac going in next week. $8.5k installed.

sounds about right..........
    \"Go to Know\"

ONAN has been around ALONG TIME.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I have a 20kw Cummins and 250 gallons of propane. I can put you in touch with the man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learn me on the install, why 8-10k?

Quote Originally Posted by Jscrapmetal View Post
    Learn me on the install, why 8-10k?
    Because they are basically rewiring the breaker panel so that the service and generator are connected and controlling the supply to the entire house. It isn't something that a DIY electrician really wants to screw around with. $8-10K is the average price for a 20-25Kw generator with Auto Transfer to be installed plus gas tank if needed.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

we have briggs on all our offices at work. We went through a class on working on them etc and they are pretty slick. I have the guys card in my truck if you want his info. Guy at work just bought one and I think its a 12kw and was right at 3000 with transfer switches
    Last edited by Phone Man; 09-13-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

gotcha

I asked a guy about this a week or so back - he suggested diesel over propane or NG. More reliable/less preventative maintenance was the gist of it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I asked a guy about this a week or so back - he suggested diesel over propane or NG. More reliable/less preventative maintenance was the gist of it.
    But then you have diesel in a tank just sitting and going bad.

Propane has been pretty flawless for us over there years. It does suck it down during long periods of outage, but fuck it. Beats not having electricity...

You can make do with a Honda 2000 that will seemingly run for 7 months on a gallon of gas if you get worried about the propane bill...

I am tired of making do. I want my whole house running.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I'd look into one with dual fuel. I heard that some of the people that were running the propane generators went through a ton of propane during Matthew.
    My buddy that sells propane said a 20-24 kw will burn through about 50 gallons a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I think we have a generac at the cabin. When it kicks on you can watch the gauge on the propane tank falling from the kitchen window.