Thread: Iowa public land

Default Iowa public land

Im looking at taking a public land bow trip to Iowa in 2018. From what I have been reading the public land don't get a lot of pressure especially during the week. Couple question?

- does anyone have any experience with hunting public in Iowa

- is anyone interested in going that has preference points

No experience here. but there are a few guys on here with it. I have done a ton of research and I have 3 points waiting to be cashed in....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend your money wise and find a good outfitter. It takes long enough to get a tag to waste trying to hunt public ground. It all gets hunted to.

I have hunted public ground in Iowa twice and hours of research. There is some pressure because the locals hunt public early to keep pressure off their areas until the rut. Still, compared to the SE the pressure is light. The advantage to the rut in Iowa is the rut is condense so bucks are still on their feet during the rut even when pressured. If the weather is good and you are in a funnel/pinch point or on does you will see several bucks.

Most outfitters run through several hunters during the prerut and their ground is more pressured than public. If you can manage 10 days in Iowa with several all day sits, kill basic 8pts in SC and read terrain you have high odds of killing a solid deer in Iowa.

Sleeper states are closer and cheaper. But the 180" dream does not exist like it does in Iowa.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 08-29-2017 at 02:22 PM.

I also have 3 points in store. I have been on several OOS guided hunts and killed my best buck yet in KS on a fully guided hunt but I have killed several real good deer on DIY and they mean a lot more. It's more about the experience and hunt than the kill to me and getting it don't 1000 miles away on public ground would be great. I'm not hard to please a good 150 inch will serve me just fine. LED let me know if this is something you are interested in.

I've heard about that test. The one of which ninety nine percent of Americans cannot name all of the fifty states. When I see Iowa, it makes me think about that test.

Just hunt the buck nest you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKBUSTER79 View Post
    I also have 3 points in store. I have been on several OOS guided hunts and killed my best buck yet in KS on a fully guided hunt but I have killed several real good deer on DIY and they mean a lot more. It's more about the experience and hunt than the kill to me and getting it don't 1000 miles away on public ground would be great. I'm not hard to please a good 150 inch will serve me just fine. LED let me know if this is something you are interested in.
    I am not 100% sure what we will do next year. We are planning a sleeper state trip this year and have to see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I've heard about that test. The one of which ninety nine percent of Americans cannot name all of the fifty states. When I see Iowa, it makes me think about that test.

am i missing something or is this more wisdom spoken from the porcelain throne?

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Don't do like me and loose all your points (I had 3) because you forgot to apply for tags.

Quote Originally Posted by HT View Post
    Don't do like me and loose all your points (I had 3) because you forgot to apply for tags.
    How did you lose them?

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    How did you lose them?

I thought I did!! Thanks LED!! Just looked and saw where it said you still retain your points if you fail to apply. I assumed That if you missed applying you lost all your points.

Quote Originally Posted by HT View Post
    I thought I did!! Thanks LED!! Just looked and saw where it said you still retain your points if you fail to apply. I assumed That if you missed applying you lost all your points.
    Lolz

I got to Illinois every year but I've got 3 PP's for Iowa as of this year. I'm itching to hunt there at some point. None of my buddies have anymore than 1 or 2 points.
    HRCH DL's Black Kentucky Shine SH "Colby"
    HR Devil's Dirty Little Secret "Tessa"

2015 1760dbst Havoc & 90 HP Yamaha 2 Stroke