Thread: Hawk stole dove

Default Hawk stole dove

Yesterday while hunting at our club field in Hartsville, we had a really cool thing happen. A hawk flew out of the woods right on the tail of a dove and chased it all the way across the field. I had my son in law with me on his first dove hunt, so I immediately yelled out "Hawk, don't shoot". The guy next to him shot and killed the dove and the hawk still was extremely close and followed it to the ground, picked it up and flew off. It was almost as neat as the bald eagle years ago that swooped down at Bear Island and picked a dead duck off the water 20 feet in front of our blind. I had a video camera and regular camera sitting beside me and only watched it with amazement. Neat things can happen when you hunt.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

SSS

by any chance, do people call you little rubberhead?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

ya, I saw a hawk chase a dove one time through our dove field but that's not near as cool as him grabbing it and taking off with it.

The bad part is that it only takes one or two lead pellets ingested to kill a hawk. A pellet lodged in their flesh isn't as fatal as one that gets in their gizzard.

On the bright side, we don't have a shortage of hawks.

A hawk snatched one up right in front of my dog one time. Blew her damn mind.

sounds like that dove was going to have a bad day either way!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    The bad part is that it only takes one or two lead pellets ingested to kill a hawk. A pellet lodged in their flesh isn't as fatal as one that gets in their gizzard.

On the bright side, we don't have a shortage of hawks.
    Yep. May as well have just shot the hawk and killed it quickly. Instead it will lay around for days before it dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was working under the porch on the shop today and had a hawk swoop down and grab a mouse that was cutting across the yard unbeknownst to me. Honestly startled me a little and the dog didn't know what the hell to think. He just looked up at me with his ears perked and cocked his head.

Damn a hawk.