Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 1/2 vs 3 in

I need to get the record straight and I am sure someone can set it straight. I was told that the 3 1/2 shell only had more shot and not more powder. Is this the case? Are there any auto 3 1/2 guns out there at a reasonable price. Not to worried about brand just auto and 3 1/2.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Mossberg 935

I haven't seen enough articles about the 935 to know how it is going to work out - definitely no personal experience... but it could turn out to be a decent bargain-level shotgun. In 3˝" guns, I would definitely avoid pumps or double guns unless you have a high tolerance to recoil.

My only personal experience with 3˝" guns is with my Winchester Super X2 - and I am highly impressed with it. It has many of the same features of it's close sister, the Browning Gold. And it might be had for just a little (relatively speaking) more than the Mossberg. IT is a proven gun. (I was going to sell mine, as I have moved to a Beretta Urika, but I have decided to keep the Super X2 and paint it gray for use in a layout boat).

If you can afford more $$, look at the Beretta Extrema and the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2... both are great guns.

3" vs 3˝"...

My personal opinion is that you don't need 3˝" - 3" will get the job done on any pass or decoy shooting situation I have encountered. In fact 2 3/4" will do it over the dekes with the right shot type and charge. What 3˝" gives you is more shot (denser pattern, in theory) than 3" or 2 3/4" at any given velocity. All will shoot fast loads (the determining thing with steel regarding lethality), but 3˝" will give you MORE shot at a given velocity. What is UNKNOWN until you test it is whether it will still give you a decent pattern... more shot is not necessarily better, as it might not pattern worth a hoot.

I love my 3" Beretta Urika with the Optima bore...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Mudflat, if you look hard enough you can find shells in any shape/size/configuration that you desire. My logical way of thinking leads me to believe that SC has SOME ducks and if I get into SOME ducks I want them dead when they hit the water! 3 1/2 hevi-shot #2/#4 will takeum down.
    Also for X-mass I picked up a 935 and it has been great ever since. I only have 500 or so rounds threw(sp?) it but so far so good. There is a cheaper 3 1/2 auto, used to be made by Biakal MP153 I think is the correct name. I believe it has since been purchased by Remington and is now sold under their Spartan gun brand. It was like $300 a couple of months ago, can probably get one for less than $400. The Mossberg 935 was $450 or so @ Sports Authority in North Charleston(they have great sales on hunting/fishing stuff-check newspaper).
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

I'd avoid the Baikal guns, or any semiauto made in Turkey (i.e., Charles Daly, etc) like the plague.

SR you are right on about that-I don't think that most people know about the connection b/t Remington + Biakal.
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

The 935 seems to be a decent 3.5" shotgun so far. In comparing it to my SX-2,the fit and finish of the Mossberg is not as nice, but it's a $450 semi-auto. It will shoot some 2 3/4" heavy field loads, as well as 3" and 3.5" shells with no adjustment. I have used it under some harsh field conditions this season, and it has passed with flying colors. The stock shims allow you to adjust the stock drop to fit the shooter, and this is a feature usually reserved for more expensive guns. My son has "claimed" this gun, and usually takes it when we hunt. He's done remarkably well with it this year, considering that he's only 12. I'd not hesitate to recommend the 935.

Mudflat, I bought a 935 back during the summer from Bass Pro. On sale, I paid about $369 ( had a 10% off coupon too). I can only say good things about it! Never had any problems out of it, no misfires, no hang ups. Now, I've only had it this year, but it seems very tough, along the lines of the 835(I had one for about 5 years but couldn't hit ducks with it) 3 weekends ago, I fell in with my 935(thankful for warm weather that Sunday!) got home, tore it down, dried it out and oiled it. the next Saturday, shot just fine...I've only run 30-40 shots through it, but no problems...I think if you take care of it, it'll last. One last comment, I got the black synthetic. I agree with another post, the camo wasn't quite right in the one I looked at and certainly not worth $100 more....
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Does the 31/2 have more powder when the boxes between the 2 both say MAG powder or is it more shot only. Do you get more range with the larger 31/2?

Not more range, just more dense patterns within the standard effective range of steel shot.

Steel shot runs out of steam faster than lead, the only way to push the range out is to shoot it FASTER. 3˝ inch shells aren't faster across the board, but they DO allow you to fit more BIG shot (BB, B, 1) in a shell at the same velocity you get with a 3 inch shell.

you can kill anything you want, including geese with 2 3/4in #2's including geese
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I guess that the answer to the question is that you get more shot and not more range. Like IB posted when I do get a shot at a duck I want the best chance at killing it with the most effective load. Been shooting 3 in for years and was looking to up-grade. One sure way to tell a NEW hunter is to pull out your 3in or 23/4 shells cause they ain't seen nothing but 31/2. I am sure they all will kill ducks, just like when I use to shoot them with #7 dove loads, but looking for the best chance. Even though at 2 dollars a pop it can get expensive, but so is duck hunting, soon a RICH MAN sport.

The biggest, most expensive shells/guns ain't worth beans if you can't consistenly point the muzzle in the right location. If you want the most effective combination spend some time and powder this year shooting sporting clays. And take a lesson from a qualified instructor. Well worth the dough.

I'm far from the caliber of Gander in the smoothbore category, but he is 100% correct. Spend some time busting clays and learing what your gun is capable of, and you'll surprise your partners next season.

As one of Gander's shooting partners is fond of saying "it's not the wand, but the magician". (who would that be Gander?)

Originally posted by Gander:
    The biggest, most expensive shells/guns ain't worth beans if you can't consistenly point the muzzle in the right location. If you want the most effective combination spend some time and powder this year shooting sporting clays. And take a lesson from a qualified instructor. Well worth the dough.
    [img]graemlins/withstupid.gif[/img]

mudflat, it sounds to me like you're just not going to be satisfied with what Swampy is telling you so why don't you just go ahead and buy that worthless piece of shit Mossberg and get it out of your system. Remember to tape a quarter to it so that in the event you loose it overboard you can truthfully say that you lost something.

If I were going through this psycological hell that you're dealing with right now, I think I would just bite the bullet and buy a Remington SP-10 and get on with my life. This would solve all your problems. First, the ballistics for 3.5s loads are better out of a ten gauge and second, you have to shoot 3.5 shells out of that gun. And so, the first part of this quote is (mudflat quote)"when I do get a shot at a duck I want the best chance at killing it", and the end of this quote would be, "now I know what to do".

First off FW is nobody ever answered the question as to whether the 3.5 had more powder than the 3. I know it has more shot. Second is that I never said that I would buy the mossburg, other viewers just suggested it. As for the quote "I want the best chance at killing a duck when I get a shot at a duck" was from someone else, not myself, just agreed with it. You just can't get over that picture can ya!Look at it again I'll send it TTT.

Mudflat, the 3.5" does have more powder than the 3", at least in my reload recipies it does. Just shooting from memory, but one pet load in 3" has 38 gr. of STEEL powder vs 44 gr. in the 3.5".

Dear mudflat, I think that the answer to your question regarding powder charges is pretty simple and if I'm not mistaken Swampy did answer it indirectly. Though I have my suspicions that you would have missed it even if he had been more direct. Simply put...yes, there are many different powder charge combinations for 3.5 loads, some have more, some have the same as 3" shells and some MAY even have less. If you're really interested you should take gunningbird's advice to another youngster regarding ducks and do some reading about the subject of shotgun ballistics.

Now, about the quote...I took that straight out of one of your posts so...

BTW, theres a 3.5 in the Trading Post right now.

3.5" SHELLS ARE A WAIST OF MONEY AND ARE FOR RUBBERHEADED POSERS.
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us