Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Securing boat during a hurricane

Default Securing boat during a hurricane

I have heard people say let it fill up with water to weight it down, I have read pull all plugs and secure as tight to trailer as possible. Anyone have any experience. My boat is a light poling skiff (17 Mitzi).

Due to some pretty unique circumstances (like my wife is 39+ weeks pregnant) if/when we get evacuated from SW Florida I am going to have to leave my boat behind if little one doesn't come first.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 09-05-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Pull the plug and strap it down on the trailer. Have insurance.

What marsh said, although it is probably a little late to get insurance if you haven't already. Might consider some auger style anchors also. Strap it down tight to the trailer, then 2 anchors on each side with a strap or rope going across the boat. It looks like y'all are going to have some really nasty wind down there.

Something like these.

auger-style-tree-113145.jpg
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Rent a storage unit and put it inside and lock it up. They may even have some kind of insurance if it gets blown away.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

If you don't have insurance now you better get it first thing tomorrow if all of the companies haven't shut down already down there. Many insurance companies have stopped writing policies around here already.

Moved some boats today for an older gentleman. I pulled the plug and jacked the trailer up and made sure the auto bilge pump was on. Only reason we did it here is because he is leaving town and was not returning until late next week.

Hope you stay safe and good luck with the baby and your wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

If you don't have insurance now it's too late
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Default Securing boat during a hurricane

Depending on trailer specs, if you fill boat with water you could break axle. I would try to ensure it is on high ground away from trees and anchor it down as best as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 09-05-2017 at 09:28 PM.

I know what you're going through dawhoo. I'm in the same boat. Thought ours was coming tonight but it turned out to be a false alarm.

G
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Depending on trailer specs, if you fill boat with water you could break axle. I would try to ensure it is on high ground away from trees and anchor it down as best as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Block up the frame, taking the load off the axle.

No new policy with a named storm.

Pond boats, throw an anchor out, pull the plug and sink them.

Bigger boats, find a storage facility or dry dock. you can ride under their insurance policy if you dont have one. Stay away from trees.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    No new policy with a named storm.

Pond boats, throw an anchor out, pull the plug and sink them.

Bigger boats, find a storage facility or dry dock. you can ride under their insurance policy if you dont have one. Stay away from trees.
    Do you know if you can change your coverage amounts after a named storm if you currently have a policy?
    Was reading through mine and have it insured up to $30K, but there is a $10K deductible w a named storm.

I know best bet is to call 1-800-keepmeonholdforhours, but was hoping someone had some insight.
    "Sweet, hard to beat cold beer and deer drowing."

Don't worry about the boat. Take care of your wife and unborn child.

It's easy to worry about it now but honestly there is nothing you can do to save that little boat if the storm comes your way. Just get the hell out of dodge.

Way too much warning for anyone to be caught up in this mess.

Leave it. Hope it's insured. At 180 mph winds I don't think there is shit you can do. Just out of curiosity Google hurricane Andrew pictures. Same kinda winds and great lord look at it.

No new policies and no adding comprehensive or lowering deductibles on any policies with an address east of I-95 for Farm Bureau.
    Last edited by DuvnDux; 09-05-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

I'm on the west coast of Florida and my boat will ride it out on the lift behind the house. I'll pull the plug, raise the lift as high as I can, strap all four corners of the lift to keep it from swinging, strap the boat to the lift, and then throw a bow and stern anchor in case it does break loose to try and keep the boat out of the house.

It may not help at all but if I strap it my deductible drops to $1,350 for a named storm. I'll take pictures and upload them to the insurance website pre-storm so there is a date stamp for proof that I took the precautions they recommend. They offered to pay $1,000 for haul out but the Cat 4 hurricane rated high and dry is full, so it'll sit behind the house.

With the spaghetti models, I should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Cut 'Em View Post
    Do you know if you can change your coverage amounts after a named storm if you currently have a policy?
    Was reading through mine and have it insured up to $30K, but there is a $10K deductible w a named storm.

I know best bet is to call 1-800-keepmeonholdforhours, but was hoping someone had some insight.
    I have no insight in that regard, but I do think that it is highly doubtful.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Cut 'Em View Post

Not an option....that would be cooking the books....

good luck dawhoo. with the kid, not the boat.

but a boat that small....I would just worry about trees falling on it. pull the plug, anchor the trailer, and get the hell out of dodge.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Take her 10 miles out, pull the key out the ignition and tell her put out or swim!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.