Thread: Tired of HE washing machines that don't last? Get a Speed Queen.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Default Tired of HE washing machines that don't last? Get a Speed Queen.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's as well as living a bachelors life in the 80's, there were a few things that never really appeared on the ole "reliability screen". One of those was a washing machine. They just worked. Washing cycles were short. They cleaned clothes well and if they needed a repair, it was usually just a belt. Fast forward to the last 15 or 20 years. They have gotten cheaper and cheaper and have become basically a disposable item, lasting 3-5 years (depending on use). Their designs are flimsy and are often built overseas. They have all sorts of fancy bells and whistles, which are selling points for wives, but they just don't last. I have gone through 4 washing machines in about 15 years (2 Whirlpools a Kenmore and a Maytag).

Sure enough about 3 weeks ago, my top load Whirlpool died. It was 4 years old. Frustrated, I started doing some research, talking to repair shops as well as checking the internet. I stumbled on a name that I recognized from commercial laundromats. It is Speed Queen. They are USA made, in Wisconsin and are built to commercial standards. They are advertised to have an expected life of about 25 years. We will see about that, but I can tell you that these things are built like a tank. Everything about them is solid and heavy duty. Back are the 30 min, or so, wash cycles instead of the hour long ones.

Apparently Govt regulations are mandating less water usage (which I despise since I have a well) and are requiring an HE cycle. Speed Queen has this as optional cycle, that you just basically don't have to use unless you want. The place that I bought it from told me that Speed Queen is supposed to be discontinuing the ones with the old style knobs in the fall, and are having to go to the electronically controlled ones. Their electronic controls have been out for a while and are designed to be robust and long lasting, but I opted for the old style.

If you are looking for a washing machine that will likely last for a long time, you might want to give Speed Queen a look. They are fairly expensive, but if they don't crap out when you need it, it is money well spent. Buy quality-cry once. Oddly enough Consumer Reports did not give them high marks, but it was not for reliability. It was because they are not as "green" as the high tech ones are. I don't know about you, but in a washing machine, I could care less about "green", I want something that will wash AND rinse clothes well, in a short time, and will last for many years.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 09-04-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Although this post belongs in the "tampon tribulations" section, I will admit that I am tired of hearing my wife bitch about the HE washing machine I purchased for her a year or two ago. That piece of shit will leave a heavy load of towels or sheets soaking ass wet. My wife usually ends up running the machine through 2-3 cycles to get it to work right. And it can't get a spot of dirt out of a pair of pants if it tried.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 09-04-2017 at 12:57 PM.

I bought a speed queen last year. It is a clothes washing m'fer. Best money i ever spent
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I got tired of the same thing, research led me to Speed Queen commercial, bought washer and dryer a 1 1/2 ago, couldn't be more pleased. High dollar but to us well worth it.

we got one last year- good machine- commercial grade- 5 stars

Yep.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

I knew a speed queen from swansea. She wore sketchers and a double grommet belt. She drove a Pontiac and loved the gamecocks

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I knew a speed queen from swansea. She wore sketchers and a double grommet belt. She drove a Pontiac and loved the gamecocks
    You sure it wasn't a Chevy Lumina?

What are you guys calling expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I see an old scamp that fits that description around here from time to time.

Mine was right at $1475, delivered installed and old unit hauled away for both units.

I still use the lake some times. Hang um on the CLOTHES LINE for you upper crust yuppie's that ain't got a clue what a CLOTHES LINE is. Shit hits the fan you might figure it out
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I miss clothes lines

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I had a Springer Spaniel that would yank the sheets down off the line and drag em through the yard. Mom would get pissed. Good times.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft