Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Range Hunter Build

Default Long Range Hunter Build

This is my first bolt gun I ever bought back in '92. Going out west next year for mulie and speed goat, so I figured what the heck lets retrofit the ole girl. Browning A-bolt 300 Win Mag.

Had to have the barrel rethreaded for 9/16x24 (instead of 1/2x28) to accommodate the can. Although she wore her worn and scuffed bluing as a badge of honor, I decided she needed a new face lift. So while she was stripped down I gave her a fresh new Cerakote.

Rings are on order and scope is waiting to be mounted. I have a McMillan Game Scout carbon fiber stock ordered, but it's 6-8 months out. So load development will be done with the factory stock. She is a consistent 1/2-3/4 moa with the factory stock now.

I'll keep y'all Posted on the progression.

[ATTACH]28479
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 08-31-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Caliber?

I like it

The weakest part of the ABolt as far as accuracy goes is the fire control system. ( there are no available drop in triggers for A Bolts). I have an old stainless ABolt in .270 that shoots pretty well for what it is. Added a Timney trigger spring kit ( the 1.5- 2# model) , had the lugs lapped, bedded the stock and had the muzzle crowned in an effort to scratch our all possible accuracy. If you are getting .5- .75 MOA at 100 with an Abolt - you have done well.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

The above mentioned trigger spring upgrade is only for the original ABolts. There are no spring upgrades on the market for the Abolt II or III that I am aware of .
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Caliber?
    300 Win Mag

Timney springs work in the II. Put one in my 25-06. Blue spring gave me a pretty good 2.5 trigger. They're not target rifles, but more than accurate enough to hunt with. I killed a ton of game with mine. They're solid hunting rifles.
    Last edited by FLS; 08-31-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Good to know. My packaging reads - " will not work in Abolt II or III. LOL!!

A 300 Win Mag will definitely do the job on a 100# Antelope!!

My Abolt .270 has been a fine hunting rifle.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    The weakest part of the ABolt as far as accuracy goes is the fire control system. ( there are no available drop in triggers for A Bolts). I have an old stainless ABolt in .270 that shoots pretty well for what it is. Added a Timney trigger spring kit ( the 1.5- 2# model) , had the lugs lapped, bedded the stock and had the muzzle crowned in an effort to scratch our all possible accuracy. If you are getting .5- .75 MOA at 100 with an Abolt - you have done well.
    Had a trigger job and a Gentry brake done on her right when I got her (hence the 1/2x28 thread). Not sure what he done but its 1.75lb pull. Here's what she's doing with 185gr Barnes TSX over IMR 4350.Abolt 1.jpg
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 08-31-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    The above mentioned trigger spring upgrade is only for the original ABolts. There are no spring upgrades on the market for the Abolt II or III that I am aware of .
    I have one in my Abolt II, the blue spring breaks right at 2 1/4 pounds. Mine shoots right at moa so I wouldn't consider it a tack driver but it's accurate enough for a hunting rig.

Mine shoots .75 -1 MOA with ease using 130 grain Accubond hand loads. It will dang sure do the job.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Called flyer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Gots some boowitts ready, just need my rings. Longest I can get in my Mag is .060 off the lands with the Berger 210gr VLD (unless I get froggy with the dremel tool again)

Gonna try .060, .090, .120 and see what jump she likes best. I know she likes IMR 4350 from all the test loads back in the day.

image.jpg

I bet the best jump is .020 - .040
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I bet the best jump is .020 - .040
    If I don't get satisfaction out of the .060 or shorter, I'll bust out the dremel and whittle some more.

185 Hybrid Hunting might be more jump tolerant.
    FWIW I used a 140 Target Hybrid I'm my Creedmoor. Killed the shit out of two speedgoats. They're pretty lightly built and there is nowhere to hide out there.
    Last edited by FLS; 08-31-2017 at 12:35 PM.

A .300 for an animal you can kill with a spitball.

You do you, Hulk Smash!

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    185 Hybrid Hunting might be more jump tolerant.
    FWIW I used a 140 Target Hybrid I'm my Creedmoor. Killed the shit out of two speedgoats. They're pretty lightly built and there is nowhere to hide out there.
    Classic hunter is even better or at least it was as far as my .243 w/ factory barrell was concerned.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Hybrid Hunter and Classic Hunter are the same bullet. Designed to be jump tolerant and accurate at mag length.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    A .300 for an animal you can kill with a spitball.

You do you, Hulk Smash!
    Lookie here cat doc, this thread is for grown ups!!

This rifle is not picky, she likes to kill all kinds of shat! The speed goat is just on the list after the mulie. If I get froggy I might just pop it's ass wit da Creedmoor......