Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HVAC

Default HVAC

A guy comes out and spends 5 minutes to diagnose and replace a part on my AC.

The invoice has $69 hourly rate.
    $134.89 for part. "50 to 80 MFP up to 440 volt motor run capacitor"
    $10 environmental charge

I looked on the net and found the part for roughly $10. Am I looking at the same thing?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

He saw the marble and knew what he was working with.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post

$10 environmental charge

I looked on the net and found the part for roughly $10. Am I looking at the same thing?
    Yes

You are absolutely looking at the same thing.

It may be branded differently (another manufacturer and likely better quality than what you found on Amazon or otherwise), but it's the same run capacitor.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

$10 environmental charge

Next time this happens, order it online and wait for it to get here and then do the work yourself. My bet is after you order it and tell your wife, or boyfriend in your case, that it will be 2 or 3 days before the part will be here she will call an A/C guy herself and your shit will be fixed and you will pay the bill without saying a word. Bitching about $215. smdh

$10 environmental charge

So, now you're lumping HVAC guys in with the Welders that you think shouldn't make $200K a year?

Thanks for the answer.

Some of you guys sound like the permanently offended from the left.

Is it not possible to communicate without all the hostility?

You must forget half the stuff you say. Yes, that part costs between 10 and 20 bucks a any HVAC supply house in Florence. The guy knew what was wrong and got you back in service. That is why you called him, correct?

the hostility comes from the hatred. The hatred comes from the flag. The flag came from stripa's great granddad.

Ergo, I got nothing.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You paid him for his know how and willingness to come in a timely manner, not just the part.

Everything has a mark up
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

just out of curiosity.....since you are in Florence.....would you be willing to name the HVAC company????
    Originally Posted by VaTransplantDuckHunter
    If scducks were to give out Emmys you would get one Robbos!

taxes Bo.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    You must forget half the stuff you say. Yes, that part costs between 10 and 20 bucks a any HVAC supply house in Florence. The guy knew what was wrong and got you back in service. That is why you called him, correct?
    Is 10x markup standard for the industry? Any industry?

Jerrys.

You can usuually view an issue with the capacitor or contactors. Take time to research possible causes then call the company if you can't figure it out. Capacitors will usually expand when bad.
    Last edited by jwmetz; 08-23-2017 at 11:53 AM.

How about the irony of a $10 environmental fee to throw away a $10 part?

Too bad we can't pay politicians based off of their productivity and accuracy like others who render a service.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

If you're doubting the industry standard, call a plumber to come fix your leaky faucet.

Hint: That Delta stem cost about $10. Their typical hourly rate is roughly $85/hr depending on what market you live in.

supply and demand

order a replacement capacitor, they can go out frequently - takes about 5 minutes to replace
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

$215 to change a capacitor is likely a direct reflection of his opinion of you, and how he felt about being watched. For what it's worth I used to charge anywhere from $50 to $125 for showing up just depending on the customers attitude. If customer was a dick, that was the service call fee and any problems would be additional. If customer was appreciative and not a douche it would include simple things like a cap, fan relay, or contactor.

So you have no problem spending money on toys and trips but keeping the family comfortable for a couple hundred bucks is what you worry about?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford