Thread: Outboard electrical

Default Outboard electrical

I had an issue yesterday, and have found the culprit, but just wanting to see if anyone had experienced anything similar. I was flagged down by another boat on the lake. Fella had a dead battery and needed a jump. Having two deep cycle batteries on board, I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I know now to always unhook my wiring, from my battery, before doing this. The result was a blown solenoid. Can any of you outboard gurus give me some insight on why a surge may have went back through my battery and to my motor? I reckon this would be a good time to install a fuse/breaker in the line between my battery and motor as well. Anyone that has a fuse or breaker on their setup like this, can you provide some advice as to what size/amp fuse I would need? Or should I just install a quick disconnect to be able to break the circuit going forward? I have a new solenoid ordered already, but would like to get a better understanding of what and why it happened. TIA
    Last edited by billbuster84; 08-23-2017 at 07:18 AM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

So you have three batteries, right? Two deep cycle batteries for a 24V trolling motor and 12 volt starting battery that you use to start your big motor?

You jumped the guy from your starting battery? Was your big motor running when you jumped him? Was it the solenoid for your starter that went out?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

The starter pulls so much current it would probably be a bad idea to put it between the battery and the solenoid. There's already a fuse in place but it's between the computer and the battery to protect it. If that solenoid burnt up it was probably already weak. I wouldn't go changing your setup just to integrate a means of protection, just be sure to disconnect your motor before jumping someone off. Or simply remove the second battery to get him going then disconnect.

I assume you got the guy going?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I have a cranking battery for my big motor, and a single deep cycle for a 12v trolling motor. Big motor was off when we first hooked up the cables. Dropped him off at the marina, and wished him well. It seems there may be a little more going on as well. After this incident my trim would only work intermittently. Could it have possibly hit the trim relays as well, or buzzed the hot side of the solenoid where the trim gets its power? School me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I would recommend a battery cut off switch. You can kill all power going to the entire boat, hook him to your battery and jump him, and then turn your switch back on. My Key west came with a circuit breaker in line as well, but i'm unsure of the size.

One thing i recommend is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Arteck-18000m...words=jump+box

Boat US came to assist me one day when my battery died and handed me one of those. I never thought it would work being its small size, but it started my motor immediately. I now own 2 of them and keep take one out on the boat with me every time I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I would recommend a battery cut off switch. You can kill all power going to the entire boat, hook him to your battery and jump him, and then turn your switch back on. My Key west came with a circuit breaker in line as well, but i'm unsure of the size.

One thing i recommend is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Arteck-18000m...words=jump+box

Boat US came to assist me one day when my battery died and handed me one of those. I never thought it would work being its small size, but it started my motor immediately. I now own 2 of them and keep take one out on the boat with me every time I go out.
    I actually recommended one of those to the fella. I have my batteries setup on a dual bank charger and it stays charged all the time. I wouldn't have thought about carrying one of those to assist others. I'll continue to help folks if I see someone in need, but I will not hook cables back to my boat.

Okay, I'm still not sure how everything was hooked up but I think you're starting battery needs to be replaced.

A lead acid battery is one of the best sources and sinks for current. Not only can it briefly generate 1,000 amps or more it can sink that much current without allowing an overvoltage further down the circuit. With a healthy battery, I doubt a problem on the other guy's boat could have gotten past your battery into your circuits.

Replace your starting battery (or take it to Walmart or wherever and get it tested). Only after that start thinking about what’s broke and what needs replacing.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Got to do a little more digging around this afternoon in the daylight. Ground wire from the solenoid the the block was burnt in two, as well as the bonding straps on the lower unit. Replaced both sets of wire and everything is working as it should. Looks like too much hit the solenoid, and when it tried to route to ground, it fried that small gauge wire. Upgraded to 12ga on all the above.

You can still see the marks left from the insulation that burned off of that bonding strap.

There ya go. Current flows from negative to positive. Bad ground wires and lack of bonding across the various pieces of the motor will do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft