Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying/Owning an OOOOOLD house

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    I got stitches in my face from a slipping screw jack in an attic. Learnt a lot that day......
    The pin used to lower or raise jack had to be the culprit

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    By looking at..do you mean you looked them over? (Things you mentioned above) or you called in a panel of experts to look them over. Please don't rely on a home inspector. If they knew anything they'd be running a construction company.
    Agreed. There are some good inspectors out there, but there are alot of box checkers. Contractor that knows the codes would be huge.

Our house is 225+ years old. July power bill wasn't the problem. The winter was. It's easier to cool a drafty house than to heat it. Especially on electric heat. That first december I got a bill for over $660. Attic insulation paid for itself that first year.

I'd focus on plumbing, foundation, windows, duct work, and insulation. I'd also check on the sewer and and well if applicable. Pretty sure that list covers the biggest expenses I've had so far.

I haven't had the issue, but I'd be checking for leaks and any structural damage as a result. I had my wiring checked out and they said it was better than the current stuff. But I'd look to see if they have fuse boxes still in play.

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    would really like to see pics of your house if you don't mind!
    It's unreal. Some amazing artwork in that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Well I'll be dang. You finally wrote something worth reading. Thanks for the input. I will run those numbers.
    Sorry, my posts are generally geared for a more intellectual audience. Not everyone gets them if you know what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    The pin used to lower or raise jack had to be the culprit
    Not even.

The majority of the house was 16" on center except for the portion over the carport, front and back - it was on 24". Roof had started to sag and I was bringing it back to level before adding a room on the back that was gabled into it. Had 2x12's spanning to blocks on the load bearing walls and screw jacks placed on top of those. On top of the jacks was a 4X4 ripped to the angle of the roof. Like an idiot, I had it under tension BEFORE attaching the hurricane straps to the rafters. Went to screw the first strap to the rafter and BOOM! Knocked me on my ass and was lucky not to go through the ceiling of the den. Sharp angle of the 4X4 hit me across the bridge of the nose and under the right eye. Got a trip to the ER for that stupid mistake. Won't be doing that again.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    would really like to see pics of your house if you don't mind!

This is how the church sat in 1887, it was moved across the creek with mules in 1920 and turned into a residence.

IMG_0536.jpg

This is present day.

IMG_8812.jpg

This is the main room, 20' +/- ceilings (room is being painted white).

IMG_2726.jpg

Started pulling back dry wall/pop corn ceiling and it got interesting.

IMG_3556.jpg

Ended up showing these in the main room. I have two of them in there,all connected by a 'border' that flows through each room, pictures don't do them justice.

IMG_8203.jpg

The house is roughly 3,000 sqft, and all of the top ceilings are painted, we went ahead and exposed those. The church was just one large room when it was built, all of the rooms were added in 1920. All of the original walls and ceilings are painted with the artwork. It will be pretty impressive, and unique, once it's finished up.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 08-21-2017 at 01:08 PM.

That's an awesome find!

very cool for sure

This thread is full of racism.

Just how racist is this house gonna be?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Just how racist is this house gonna be?
    well........i gotta admit

ITS WHITE!
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I'm throwing up right now I'm so offended. Or maybe it's because I looked at the sun and a statute of Robert E Lee at the same time. I don't know. You should demolish that racist white house and rebuild a new one. Paint it black using only wood that has been cut using sustainable forestry practices by a non profit timber company that employs minorities and LGBTQRX people.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 08-21-2017 at 03:20 PM.