Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying/Owning an OOOOOLD house

Default Buying/Owning an OOOOOLD house

ok, wife has found dream house. It was originally built pre Civil War.

I have looked at electrical, termite, structural, plumbing, septic, and foundation.

Roof is new. HVAC is new.

What other things should I be looking at?

how can I tell if its Haunted?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I would look at the July electric bill.

If it's pre-Civil War, you KNOW it's got haints.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Ain't nothing a little blue paint on the porches won't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    I would look at the July electric bill.
    HA, That was first request. One year electric and gas bills

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

If its Pre Civil war, it may torn down shortly. Buyer beware.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    HA, That was first request. One year electric and gas bills
    Out of curiosity... Take highest month, add both those bills together and divide by sqft (gives cost of utility per sqft). What does that come out to? Not sure what a good baseline is, but on my combined gas\electric bill in July, I'm looking at about 6.7 cents per sqft. In my last house it was around 13 cents per sqft. Generally, my thermostat averages around 73-75 degrees.

By looking at..do you mean you looked them over? (Things you mentioned above) or you called in a panel of experts to look them over. Please don't rely on a home inspector. If they knew anything they'd be running a construction company.

Please send the address so we can organize a civil protest culminating in the burning of your Civil War monument / home.

Nothing that a conch shell border or half tires painted won't cure. You know Haints and Tanney Bogusses won't cross those.

You could paint the shutters purple , at least you know they won't come in thru the windows.
    Last edited by rrconductor; 08-21-2017 at 11:44 AM.

What you should be looking at is constant work. Old houses are great and have a ton of character. Most people become slaves to them though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Our first house was built in 1956 and it was CONSTANT work. We remodeled every surface on it and all mechanical systems and it was still work. But we enjoyed the hell out of it. If it was bigger, we would likely still be there.

How are you with doing remodeling, G? If you can see yourself doing those projects and can stomach the natural inefficiencies and utilities that likely come with something that old, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    Out of curiosity... Take highest month, add both those bills together and divide by sqft (gives cost of utility per sqft). What does that come out to? Not sure what a good baseline is, but on my combined gas\electric bill in July, I'm looking at about 6.7 cents per sqft. In my last house it was around 13 cents per sqft. Generally, my thermostat averages around 73-75 degrees.
    Well I'll be dang. You finally wrote something worth reading. Thanks for the input. I will run those numbers.

My wife and I took the plunge on a house built in 1887 a few months ago. I spent around $1,000 before I even got serious about it due to bringing professionals in. I brought in an engineer to look at the foundation, a plumber to check the furnace, baseboard heaters, plumbing, and if the house was winterized correctly, and then I brought an electrician in to inspect everything he could short of tearing down walls. I even brought in painters, flooring guys, and contractors in to give me estimates on the work that needed done. My house is up in the mountains, with no A/C, so I didn't have to worry about that. Everything, with the exception of minor things that I corrected right away, were checked off on. It did receive your basic home inspection as well prior to closing, but I knew everything I needed to know before then.

So far, it's been enjoyable. I've done a lot of cosmetic work, and I found a great contractor that has been doing work that is above my skill level. We ended up finding 120 +/- year old paintings on the interior walls and ceilings that have been covered by drywall since the 1970's. That caught the attention of several people, and it's being included in a book that will be published later this year, the historical conservation association of NC has been over to document everything, and it looks like it's only 1 of 4 or 5 left in the country by this specific painter (his identity is unknown). Luckily we still have our house to live in here in SC until it's finished, because it would be about impossible to take on the renovations we are doing while living there. Hopefully it will be 'done' in the next 6 months, but realistically we both know small projects will come up while we are living there. With that said, like mentioned above, it's hard to replicate the character of an old house, and that's why we decided to go that route.

Our first house was built in 1956 and it was CONSTANT work. We remodeled every surface on it and all mechanical systems and it was still work. But we enjoyed the hell out of it. If it was bigger, we would likely still be there.

How are you with doing remodeling, G? If you can see yourself doing those projects and can stomach the natural inefficiencies and utilities that likely come with something that old, do it.

What I need is a buddy that likes to do woodworking stuff........

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    By looking at..do you mean you looked them over? (Things you mentioned above) or you called in a panel of experts to look them over. Please don't rely on a home inspector. If they knew anything they'd be running a construction company.
    Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    My wife and I took the plunge on a house built in 1887 a few months ago. I spent around $1,000 before I even got serious about it due to bringing professionals in. I brought in an engineer to look at the foundation, a plumber to check the furnace, baseboard heaters, plumbing, and if the house was winterized correctly, and then I brought an electrician in to inspect everything he could short of tearing down walls. I even brought in painters, flooring guys, and contractors in to give me estimates on the work that needed done. My house is up in the mountains, with no A/C, so I didn't have to worry about that. Everything, with the exception of minor things that I corrected right away, were checked off on. It did receive your basic home inspection as well prior to closing, but I knew everything I needed to know before then.

So far, it's been enjoyable. I've done a lot of cosmetic work, and I found a great contractor that has been doing work that is above my skill level. We ended up finding 120 +/- year old paintings on the interior walls and ceilings that have been covered by drywall since the 1970's. That caught the attention of several people, and it's being included in a book that will be published later this year, the historical conservation association of NC has been over to document everything, and it looks like it's only 1 of 4 or 5 left in the country by this specific painter (his identity is unknown). Luckily we still have our house to live in here in SC until it's finished, because it would be about impossible to take on the renovations we are doing while living there. Hopefully it will be 'done' in the next 6 months, but realistically we both know small projects will come up while we are living there. With that said, like mentioned above, it's hard to replicate the character of an old house, and that's why we decided to go that route.
    would really like to see pics of your house if you don't mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    What I need is a buddy that likes to do woodworking stuff........
    Let me know when you find one.

I got foundation jacks and big screw jacks if needed

I got stitches in my face from a slipping screw jack in an attic. Learnt a lot that day......