Thread: US navy destroyer collides with another ship

Default US navy destroyer collides with another ship

SINGAPORE (AP) - A U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer collided with a tanker early Monday in waters east of Singapore and the Straits of Malacca, and at least 10 sailors are missing.

The Navy said five others were hurt.

The USS John S. McCain sustained damage on its port side aft, or left rear, from the collision with the Alnic MC that happened at 5:24 a.m., the Navy's 7th Fleet said.

It is the second collision involving a ship from the Navy's 7th Fleet in the Pacific in two months. Seven sailors died in June when the USS Fitzgerald and a container ship hit each other in waters off Japan.

The Fitzgerald's captain was relieved of command and other sailors were being punished after the Navy found poor seamanship and flaws in keeping watch contributed to the collision, the Navy announced last week. An investigation into how and why the Fitzgerald collided with the other ship was not finished, but enough details were known to take those actions, the Navy said.

The Japan-based 7th Fleet said the McCain was heading to Singapore for a routine port visit.

The ship is based at the fleet's homeport of Yokosuka, Japan. It was commissioned in 1994 and has a crew of 23 officers, 24 chief petty officers and 291 enlisted sailors, according the Navy's website.

The Alnic MC is a 600-foot oil and chemical tanker.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Those McCain people are always causing trouble. Admiral John S. (Sidney) McCain was the grandfather of the esteemed senator from Arizona. And father of Admiral John S. McCain Jr., the senators daddy.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/uss-john-m...opstories.html
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Don't they have those spinning radar thingees on those boats?

and watchstanders- the navy has gone to hell apparently

The damage on the McCain is on the port side so I have read....
    cut\'em

10 missing. What a crap summer for the military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Irony of this is unbelievable.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

They may have just been trying to rub the name off the boat.

This is what happens when you rely solely on technology. Do they not have a watch tower anymore? There should be round the clock watchmen. They are gonna kick us out of the pacific if this keeps up!

I just can't fathom this happening.
    Last edited by DJP; 08-21-2017 at 07:51 AM.

They must have Accident forgiveness on their insurance

I've got a sinking feeling that there is more to this story. The blame will probably come flowing in.

In all seriousness, prayers for the 10 missing men.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I've got a sinking feeling that there is more to this story. The blame will probably come flowing in.

In all seriousness, prayers for the 10 missing men.
    The ship warns them a long time before the collision. They have a myriad of sensors, radar, sonar, etc. It seems the OOD (officer on deck) was on station when this happened. The captain was getting some bunk time. It's like the OOD intentionally ignored the warnings.

Here's a good article about this event. This guy thinks the OOD was a woman.

Navy’s Report on Fitzgerald Collision Is Evidence Of Corruption

Two months after the USS Fitzgerald’s June 18 collision with a freighter in the Sea Of Japan, the Navy announced that the ship’s commanding officer, executive officer, and senior enlisted man were being relieved of their positions. It cited “loss of confidence” in them, and released a lengthy report on what happened aboard the ship after the collision. That report, however, contains no hint of accusation of improper or insufficient behavior on anyone’s part. It is silent about what actions on the part of the Fitz led to the collision in the first place, citing “continuing investigation.”

But the indisputable facts about the ship’s courses, speeds, and decisions prior to the collision were in the Navy’s hands the moment that it returned to Yokusuka, if not before. In sum the Navy, by punishing officers whose responsibility was merely formal and by avoiding discussion of who made what actual decisions, suggests to the attentive reader by what it says and by what it withholds, that it is hiding its own corporate responsibility.

Who is responsible for what, and why does the Navy obfuscate the question?

At the time of the collision, the captain was asleep in his cabin, as he had every right to be, having issued “night orders” to the officer of the deck (OOD). That is the name of a position which rotates among any Navy ship’s qualified officers. The person who holds it exercises command over routine matters most of the time. On the bridge of the Fitz, the OOD was in charge.

OODs on duty receive exact, timely, information from the ship’s sensors, including Combat Information Center (CIC) about the location, course, speed, and trajectory of all objects on, above, or below the surface. In 1969, when I was responsible for my ship’s CIC, such reports would take about ten seconds to churn out manually. Nowadays, they are graphed automatically, precisely, instantaneously. In short, the Fitz’s OOD had precise warning, perhaps 45 minutes before the collision happened, that he was on a collision course. Such warnings happen all the time. The OOD either removes the problem by changing course by one or two degrees on his own authority, or, if the captain’s standing orders say so, he notifies the captain who then makes the course adjustment. Surely, this OOD did none of the above.

Staying on course means that, eventually, the Fitz came to close quarters with the freighter. We do not know (though the Navy knows) whether, at that point, the OOD stayed on course and hit the freighter or hit the freighter as result of an incompetent maneuver. But we do know that he did not notify the captain because, at the time of impact, the captain was asleep in his cabin.

The Navy’s report contains a timeline, according to which the “General Quarters” alarm “was sounded” nearly fourteen minutes after the impact. The report uses the passive voice. But the OOD was the only person authorized to sound it. Fourteen seconds would have been almost too long to wait. But fourteen minutes?

The Navy’s report mentions the names of other officers—but not that of the OOD. Who is this officer, and why the Navy’s effort to divert attention from his identity? Is he an admiral’s son, whose misdeeds are being buried as was John McCain’s responsibility in 1967 for starting the fire that killed 137 men on the USS Forrestal by giving his airplane’s engine a flaming “wet” start? Perhaps the Fitz’s OOD is a member of a politically “protected class,” despite incompetence?

The Navy’s report gives reason to suspect that the latter suggestion might explain it, by mentioning that the officer in charge of damage control was a woman, and that she managed the damage control parties from the bridge, using the 1MC public address system. This is doubly bizarre. Naval damage control, requiring as it does pulling and pushing and turning and lifting and dragging things and bodies that are heavy and broken, is so demanding of physical strength that, normally, it gets assigned to the strongest officers and men aboard. Since success in damage control depends so heavily on stopping troubles as close to the source as possible, speed of decisions and execution is essential. Like any other officer who has received damage control training I cannot imagine trying to manage a fast moving situation by having someone close to the problem interpret the problem for me and then relay my orders to the men doing the work. Who then judges how well the solution is working? What else to try and where?There is no substitute for responsible eyes and hands on the problem. And so, one vital hatch was closed enough to block anybody escaping through it, but not enough to stop the sea from continuing to rush in.

The Fitz’s damage control fiasco may be a small reflection of the OOD’s failure on the bridge. What was that officer doing before the collision that so diverted his/her judgment, and after the collision that it took him/her 14 minutes to sound General Quarters? Drugs? Sex? What kinds of people and policies are in at the controls in today’s Navy? Unfortunately, the Navy is giving us one more example of how America’s ruling class deals with its failures: indict formal scapegoats, issue long reports that sidestep the key issues, and close the matter by promising to “continue the investigation.” That is why serious persons assume that official reports are cover-ups.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 08-21-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    They are gonna kick us out of the pacific if this keeps up!
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08...an-waters.html
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I don't know what the hell the Navy is doing in either situation. They will hail you offshore when fishing from over the horizon and provide instruction for keeping a "proper distance". After the Cole, I can't believe anything can get within a country mile without getting blown up. It is extremely sad for the sailors injured and missing and mind blowing to me that something this basic in the damn Navy would cause injury or loss of life. I get running a RIB aground or something if you're not paying attention but driving a ship into another 600 fucking foot ship?? Absolutely unfathomable to me. Like runnng a plane into something on the taxiway.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.