Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hornets Nest

ummmmm hell no.....there is one thing that guy has that I don't....im pretty sure Johnny Rebel wrote a whole song about it.....ive seen a black guy do it before.....but they rub their hands under their arm pit before doing it
    Last edited by HEAD; 08-20-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

I was fogging a yard one time and this lady had a huge hornets nest in a tree in her flower bed I didn't see it until they were coming out in force i let the insecticide go wide open and battled my way backwards to the truck. Thought I had escaped but one managed to slap me in the neck right before i got in the truck. Old lady later told me she knew it was there but thought they were good for pollination purposes. I held my tongue somehow

I got stung twice on my ear when I brushed against a nest they built in the headlight of a tractor, felt like I got got punched in the side the head.

Pro tip: Don't run a bush hog near a nest either, they don't like that very much.

First time when I was about 6, throwing rocks at a nest my dad told me to stay away from. Got hit 4 times....by the hornets...ol man cut my ass worse than the stings.
    #2 was fishing a pond and stepped up on a log to cast, they were on me before I knew what happened. Took one to the eyelid, looked like i got sucker punched.

nesting in the trunk of the tree?

you sure you arent looking at jap hornets?
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Had some build a nest inside a closed deck umbrella one time. The dog upset them and had been stung. I went to investigate and as soon as I stepped on the deck a cloud came out of the umbrella. They got me 11 times.

In my mad dash to get the hell out of there I fell down and I'm fairly certain the rest of the cloud passed over me.

Make sure to get the honey first. Dont spoil it with poison spray.

I've been stung twice in my life.

First time one got in the damn house. I was laying on the couch with no shirt on, and looked up and said "damn that's a.." didn't finish, the bastard hit me in he left nipple. Don't recommend that.

Second time I was disking a food plot, back when that was cool, fucker hit me on the ear so hard, made me run the damn tractor into a ditch. That one hurt for two weeks.

I've gotten hit by a few. Once one got me dead between the eyes, I got tangled up on a line I was on and a couple more got me. I'd still rather get stung by a real hornet than a yellow jacket. A hornet hurts, but at least the pain is short lived. Wasps are also, yellow jacket stings will last a day with me.

Man I wish I still had my Drone. It would be on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bald faced ones are the ones that got me with the 13 stings. I've been stung by wasps several times but they usually don't chase you but a few feet. Them hornets were still popping me 40 yards away while I was running. The tractor was still running so when I headed back towards the thing figuring out how I was going to retrieve it, another one came at me when I was still at least 30 yards away. He didn't land and sting either, seemed like he landed stinger first it was so fast.

I always thought a shop vac would be a good tool for the job. Suck the whole nest up. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I can tell what they are doing. They are congregating around one spot but don't see a hole in the tree where they are getting in. There are some smaller ones that look similar to wasp but then some bigguns with color on there back

I'm beginning to wonder if there are eating bark off of the tree and actually building a nest towards the top. I see some flying up top but haven't seen a nest

Why not do this. Leave them alone and they will not eat your kids and I promise.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

My aunt in law likes to buy old chairs and recover/refinish them. Until she gets around to it, she will store them in the barn. Well some hornets decided that one of the big fluffy chairs looked like a good of place as any to build a nest and the entrance was between the arm and the cushion. Well my uncle in law and father in law were moving some stuff around in the barn, when my uncle in law ripped the cushion off the chair. Well, boys and girls, that was the wrong move b/c it ripped the nest in half. He was hauling ass going across the pasture trying to get away, while my fil was laughing at him. My uil got popped a few times.
    Last edited by sftull; 08-20-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

If they are as big as you describe the I bet they are Japanese hornets. Those mofos are no joke.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Had some build a nest inside a closed deck umbrella one time. The dog upset them and had been stung. I went to investigate and as soon as I stepped on the deck a cloud came out of the umbrella. They got me 11 times.

In my mad dash to get the hell out of there I fell down and I'm fairly certain the rest of the cloud passed over me.
    That was funny as hell. How did we end up killing the nest? I forget but I'm sure it was something that was stupid, dangerous, and involved lots of alcohol.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Get some Tempo dust. Spray it at the entrance to the nest. When the hornets land, it sticks to their bodies and they carry it in the nest. Being social animals, they constantly rub up against each other and they spread it onto each other. It kills them instantly. If the nest is too high for you to reach by squirting it directly from the bottle, you can cut a length of PVC pipe and fill the pipe with the tempo dust. Give it a quick burst of air from the other end with an air compressor spray nozzle and it'll blast it into the crevice.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scoutlover; 08-21-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    My aunt in law likes to buy old chairs and recover/refinish them. Until she gets around to it, she will store them in the barn. Well some hornets decided that one of the big fluffy chairs looked like a good of place as any to build a nest and the entrance was between the arm and the cushion. Well my uncle in law and father in law were moving some stuff around in the barn, when my uncle in law ripped the cushion off the chair. Well, boys and girls, that was the wrong move b/c it ripped the nest in half. He was hauling ass going across the pasture trying to get away, while my fil was laughing at him. My uil got popped a few times.

I jumped out of a deer stand once after sitting in the chair where the nest was.