Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 craze

Default 6.5 craze

I was at hunters headquarters the other day and the guys up there was going on and on about the 6.5 and how awesome of a deer round it is and how flat shooting it is.

They claimed they could hear a second "boom" when the bullet hit the deer

I looked at the ballistics chart, and compared to a 270, I don't see the flatness these guys were claiming.

I know the bullet shape cuts the air more efficiently or whatever but can somebody better explain this?

Just lookin at it on paper I don't see it, but I am all ears to learn
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

It's just another "new fangled" trendy caliber/ cartridge. I'm not one to talk a fella out of buying whatever he wants, but-

There hasn't been a truly innovative centerfire cartridge in a long time.. I get interested once a while and have the new rifle bug often. When I look at the cartridges I already have on hand in the ammo cabinet I realize there is no need.

For all game animals you can kill in SC ( and most other places) the .270 Win is a fine choice.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Which one of the guys was talking it up so much?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Magical unicorns and rainbows.

I'm going to buy a 7mmRM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Which one of the guys was talking it up so much?
    The big red headed guy with the beard and one other younger guy
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Mark is the redhead, the other guy sounds like Jacob.

Thought it may have been Robert, he has been trying to sell me a 6.5 for a long time now
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

.270 will kill shit just as dead

What 99.9% of people don't realize is it's not flatter shooting its high ballistic coefficient on 6.5s but the difference inside 400 yards probably is isn't even worth discussing. Even with that said .284s set up to shoot 180s and 195s top the 6.5s. The only two 6.5s worth considering are 6.5-284 and 6.5 saum due to their velocity and reduced recoil over the 284s.
    6.5 creed and 6.5/47 lapua gained a named in competition shooting because they offer much better BCs over 308s, good barrel life and mild recoil that aids in spotting impacts. there is nothing secret or special about a 6.5. I'm a huge fan of 6.5 saum because the ability to push a 140 grain bullet 3200 fps makes for a flat shooting high BC rig with minimal recoil that anyone can shoot but it's certainly nothing special
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

a .270 in the high shoulder will drop any SC deer or cow
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

6.5 isn't really any flatter shooting at hunting ranges (sub 300-400) than most other hunting rounds. I plan on hunting with my 6.5 creedmoor a good bit this season but that's just because I like the caliber. I don't think it has any major advantage over most common deer calibers inside common hunting ranges IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    They claimed they could hear a second "boom" when the bullet hit the deer
    You can hear that with a .270 and an 06. I'm sure you can hear it with other rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

6.5 Creedmore, 260 Remington, and 6.5x55 (in a modern action) are almost neck and neck. As a deer cartridge they are certainly sufficient, but for long range hunting there are better options. I like the Creedmore because I admittedly like the occasional fad, I like how it performs with mild recoil, and I have a lot of 6.5mm bullets.

I think .270 hunters are jealous because the 30-06 doesn't have "." in front of it.

Firstest deer I kilt with a rifle, I kilt with a 30-06. And I continued to kill a ton with it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

i just did barrel swap on my savage and i'm so happy with the change. the muzzle velocity is unreal and makes a real difference at 300 and the recoil is so low that i can shoot this rifle all day, fine tune mechanics and not feel it the next day

nothing wrong with a dirty-ought six
    I hunted with one for probably 20 years. It's a full grown deer cartridge

Just curious. What's the difference between what y'all are discussing and the 6.5 creedmoor?
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.” Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
    Just curious. What's the difference between what y'all are discussing and the 6.5 creedmoor?
    A bunch of shit but in a nut shell case capacity and thusly velocity
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
    thats what they are discussing I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    A bunch of shit but in a nut shell case capacity and thusly velocity
    My father in law speaks pretty highly of this round for long range shooting. I take him at his word given his current experience and background with guns and various ammunitions.
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.” Fred Bear