Thread: Moisture Problem

Default Moisture Problem

Bought an older house back in November.
    Standard inspection revealed no red flag issues and none have occurred until the last 60 days.

The house: 15ft ceilings in the front hall, living, dining, and 3 bedrooms. Upstairs is unfinished space.
    Halfway up the stairwell there is a temp transition zone that is very definite and also seems to be the source of the condensation. With the wet then hot spells we've had it's no surprise that a moisture issue could develop. I started noticing small patches of mildew on the walls and condensation on the base boards.
    This only occurs in the living room. I bought a 70pint dehumidifier and it's filling up twice a day. Not good.

Anybody here in this industry or know someone I can call?

ServPro will come out and clean up the mildew, but don't seem to be the guys that can locate and fix the problem.

Thanks fellas.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Crawl space?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Yes, crawlspace or slab? Central air? Is the stairwell conditioned?

Upstairs needs to be closed off or insulated and conditioned.

We have two dehumidifiers in our basement. They both catch a lot of moisture. Find you a hose and run it into a sink, shower stall etc instead of using the bucket on the dehumidifier. It may just be the time of the year. During the winter we don't really run ours at all.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Upstairs needs to be closed off or insulated and conditioned.
    Condition the upstairs. Set your thermostat a little cooler upstairs than down. Also make sure your attic is ventilated properly. R-30 minimum, R-38 preferably.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Old plaster and trim with oil based paint will mildew with the quickness.

Also make sure condensate drain isn't stopped up on the air conditioner

Roof vent fan too
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Thanks to all.

I'll check on the things y'all mentioned.
    Finishing the upstairs isn't gonna happen this year, but money is being set aside for next.

There's gotta be a million ways for moisture to manifest, I'm just thinking about how to stop it.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

If it has crawl space put down a vapor barrier and an exhaust fan upstairs.

Don't be surprised if when you dry the place out if some cracks don't show up in the walls
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Sent you a text Bog

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

That was starting to happen in my house after all the rain last year. I bleached everything and bought a dehumidifier. it only filled up quick for the first few days and now it takes forever to fill up. No more issues after that.

I thought this thread was going to be about how you couldn't perform for your man anymore Bog.