Thread: Rezoning of 948 acres along the Sampit River

Default Rezoning of 948 acres along the Sampit River

http://www.southstrandnews.com/news/...4851b7a2c.html

Anyone here showing up tomorrow night to oppose this?

Red Mountain is dumping a lot of timberland on the market this year.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Hell if they don't do something with those roads down that way now, it would take an atv/4x4 to get around anyway, without the increase in "heavy industrial" traffic

Hah. Santee Road between 52 and Alt 17 is, for all practical purposes, unusable now.

But, for real, why in the world would Georgetown County want to put a heavy industrial site there? Do they really just not care at all about the Sampit River?

Money. It will win. Money always wins.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Hah. Santee Road between 52 and Alt 17 is, for all practical purposes, unusable now.

But, for real, why in the world would Georgetown County want to put a heavy industrial site there? Do they really just not care at all about the Sampit River?
    They have had an RFP out since April looking for industrial real estate brokerage services.

Add another 150 trucks heading towards the beach and Charleston from Andrews if this limestone quarry gets approved.

http://www.southstrandnews.com/news/...cc4222b06.html

Well they voted to re-zone the steel mill into a non-industrial zoning should the steel mill ever leave, if I remember correctly. They have no tourist trade to speak of, the port is floundering, and local commerce is pretty slim. The only place for the blue collar residents of Georgetown to work is the Paper Mill. Tell me why a new industrial tenant would be bad for the local economy.

I'm sure it would be fine for the local economy, but probably no so good for the Sampit River and Winyah Bay. One of the big things that Georgetown County has going for it is its environmental appeal, as well as proximity to Charleston (I'll ignore the proximity to Myrtle Beach).

There are plenty of alternative sites in the County that are zoned for heavy industry. I just don't understand why they'd want to shit up the waterfront. If they need water access for shipping needs, they'll still have to address dredging, as well as access under the 17 bridge. If they need water access for discharge, well no one wants that.
    Last edited by wob; 08-16-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    I'm sure it would be fine for the local economy, but probably no so good for the Sampit River and Winyah Bay.
    a new construction industrial facility would be tied down with so many EPA guidelines that the Sampit might look like Crystal River in Ocala when the water discharges from the plant.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    a new construction industrial facility would be tied down with so many EPA guidelines that the Sampit might look like Crystal River in Ocala when the water discharges from the plant.
    Maybe it would turn out to be just as good as 3V.

I got 47.6ac up there I'll sell them.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Don't they have to be delusional to believe an actual labor pool exists there? Particularly if mill reopens.

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    Don't they have to be delusional to believe an actual labor pool exists there? Particularly if mill reopens.
    The mill won't reopen. The buyer is looking for all sorts of concessions from the state, county and local government. They are looking for any reason to get out of the commitment they made IMO. It's a BS game by Mittel and the union to keep this BS in limbo.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I just don't see why they want to tie up another property under industrial zoning. In Georgetown county there is already the Andrews industrial part where Safe-Rack is located. Just down the RR tracks maybe 4 miles is another 400 acres zoned as industrial that is part of our hunt club. And there is also properties zoned industrial around the airport and just to the south of the airport on 17 there is another ~300 tract that is zoned industrial. How many vacant industrial tracts does Georgetown need??????????

The Planning Commission was unanimous in their decision to deny the rezoning. County Council will still have the final say in the matter, though.